This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is a fail-proof healthy easy quick bread recipe to bake with your family. It's made with no butter and no refined sugar!
This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread is one of my favorite ways to use ripened bananas. It’s such a versatile recipe that you can switch up by adding walnuts, blueberries, dried fruit or whatever you’ve got going on in your pantry that needs to be used up. Chocolate chip is definitely a favorite though!
How to make chocolate chip banana bread
It doesn’t get easier than quick banana breads when it comes to baking in my opinion. You’ve got your wet ingredients in one bowl and the dry ingredients in the other, and then they come together easily with just a wooden spoon.
- In one bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In another bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients: melted coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup and Greek yogurt.
- Now combine the dry ingredients with the wet ingredients along with the mashed bananas and add-ins, like walnuts or chocolate chips.
- Mix it together until you don’t see any more flour streaks, being careful not to over mix the batter. Then it’s ready for the oven.
And this is what the chocolate chip banana bread will look like when it comes out: puffed up, golden color with melted cute little chocolate chips. Now, there’s that moment when you’re trying to decide how soon is too soon to cut into this beautiful loaf so you can enjoy it warm and gooey without burning your fingers. And that moment is about 10 minutes after it comes out of the oven.
Tips for making banana bread
- Use very ripe bananas. This is also an important tip when making banana bread because the ripe banana will lend a sweetness to the quick bread without having to add much sweetener. In fact, I only use 1/3 cup of maple syrup and you can even decrease it to 1/4 cup.
- Measure out the banana. You want to use 1 cup mashed bananas, which could be 2 or 3 bananas depending on their size. If you use too much bananas, the bread will turn out heavy and damp in the center, which can really make it unappealing. Make sure to freeze any extra mashed bananas for later use in banana bread or smoothies.
- Tent the loaf pan with foil during the last 10-15 minutes of baking if necessary. Sometimes at around 40 minutes the top of the bread will be golden brown but the center won’t be cooked through yet. The tenting tip helps to prevent the top from burning while baking the bread through.
- Make them into muffins: The recipe works well for muffins instead of a banana bread. Just reduce the time to 20-22 minutes.
Frequently asked questions
How do you know when the bread is baked?
The chocolate chip banana bread will take around 50-55 minutes to make. I recommend that you check for doneness at around 50 minutes to be on the safe side. The loaf will be golden brown in color and when a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
How long does banana bread keep?
Once the bread has cooled, store it in an airtight container and it will be good for around 4-5 days. You can also freeze the bread, wrap it tightly in foil and place in a freezer bag.
More quick bread recipes:
- Strawberry Bread Recipe
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Cranberry Orange Bread
- Chocolate Cinnamon Banana Bread
- Lemon Bread
This is one of the best chocolate chip banana bread recipes I’ve made. It comes out so moist, fluffy and delicious without being overly sweet. I love that I can make it without any butter or refined sugar with amazing results. The whole family will love this!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
This Chocolate Chip Banana Bread recipe was originally published on August 8, 2017. I’m updating the recipe today slightly and re-sharing it today with more step-by-step photos. Here’s the original photo!
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- 1 ¾ cup whole wheat white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup coconut oil melted
- 2 eggs
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas about 2-3 medium bananas
- ½ cup walnuts
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 325°F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup, Greek yogurt and vanilla extract until well blended, about 1-2 minutes. Stir in the mashed bananas, the flour mixture, nuts and chocolate chips, if using.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan, sprinkle with more nuts and chocolate chips, if desired. Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Instead of coconut oil, you can use olive oil or canola oil.
- Instead of greek yogurt, you can use sour cream or a neutral oil using a 1:1 substitution. You can also use milk.
- Instead of maple syrup, you can use another liquid sweetener like agave syrup or honey.
- Instead of eggs, you can use flax eggs.
- To make this gluten-free, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix. Do not substitute only almond flour or only coconut flour.