This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Quick and easy to make, this glazed lemon zucchini bread is the perfect summer dessert. Fresh and zingy and perfectly moist, this is one delicious bite!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Zucchini: Use a box grater to grate the zucchini. There’s no need to peel it.
- Sugar: Light brown sugar adds a nice rich and complex sweetness due to the molasses. You can use white in a pinch, but brown adds a much better flavor.
- Oil: Oil helps to keep the loaf cake nice and moist. Olive oil works great, or you can use a neutral oil like canola if that’s what you have.
- Greek yogurt: This adds a nice tangy richness as well as moisture, plus you get a nice boost of protein. Plain yogurt will also work well.
- Eggs: Used to bind the ingredients together.
- Lemon zest: The zest of fresh lemons adds a bold flavor. For a different flavor zucchini bread you could use oranges instead of lemons.
- Vanilla extract, cinnamon and salt: For flavor.
- Flour: This recipe is made with all purpose flour. If you have a gluten intolerance, you can make this with a 1:1 GF flour.
- Baking powder and soda: To help the bread to rise when it is being baked.
- Chopped Walnuts: These are optional, but the add a great texture and nutty flavor.
- For the lemon glaze: Confectioner’s sugar, lemon juice, vanilla extract and salt.
How to make lemon zucchini bread
- Add the zucchini, sugar, oil, yogurt, eggs, zest and vanilla to a bowl.
- Fold together until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet.
- Fold together until combined and add in the walnuts if using.
- Pour into a loaf pan lined with parchment paper.
- Bake until golden brown and cooked through.
Tips for baking zucchini bread
- Don’t peel the zucchini skin. As the zucchini bread cooks, the skin dissolves into the bread and is barely noticeable after baking, even for your pickiest eaters. It would be an unnecessary step.
- Don’t squeeze the zucchini of excess water. This helps to keep the bread nice and moist. If your zucchini is particularly watery (if it is larger), you can dab it lightly with a paper towel
- Don’t over mix the batter. When you add the dry ingredients, fold them in rather than stir. This will keep the gluten from over developing
- Let the loaf fully cool before glazing it. If it is still warm, the lemon glaze will slide off of it. You can even consider baking the cake the day before and adding the glaze the next day before serving so that it’s definitely cooled.
Frequently asked questions
Check that the bread is fully cooked through when the top is browned and set, this will take around 45 to 50 minutes. Use a toothpick to insert into the center of the cake, if it comes out clean then it is ready to come out of the oven. If your bread is browning too quickly, you can loosely cover the top with foil.
This lemon zucchini is so fresh and zingy, but you can easily swap and add ingredients to suit your tastes. You can swap the lemon for orange or lime, or instead of walnuts, fold in some blueberries.
Yes, this is a quick sweet bread and it’s perfect to serve as a dessert or as a mid afternoon snack with a cup of coffee.
This zucchini lemon bread is wonderful, fresh and zingy. The lemon glaze adds a rich and subtle sweetness and of course, it is perfectly moist.
More quick bread recipes:
- Cinnamon Apple Bread
- Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Pistachio Bread
- Sweet Avocado Quick Bread
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Carrot Banana Bread
- Cranberry Orange Bread
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Lemon Zucchini Bread recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Lemon Zucchini Bread
- Cooking spray
- 1 ½ cups grated zucchini about 1 ½ medium zucchinis
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup full fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons lemon zest about 3 lemons
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup chopped walnuts optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a loaf pan with parchment paper and cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, fold together zucchini, sugar, olive oil, Greek yogurt, eggs, lemon zest, and vanilla extract.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Fold dry ingredients into wet and mix until incorporated. Fold in walnuts (if using).
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, rotating the pan halfway through, 45-50 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then remove and slice.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Whisk all ingredients until smooth. Drizzle glaze over cooled bread and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.