This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Bursting with flavor, this delicious lemon bread loaf is perfect to serve as a dessert or enjoy as an afternoon snack with a cup of coffee. Glazed with a lemon and honey syrup, it’s a wonderful blend of sweet and tart.
Ingredients to make lemon bread recipe
- Lemons: I use the juice and the zest for a wonderfully strong and fresh lemon flavor in each bite. Pick lemons that have a good squeeze to them.
- Greek yogurt: The yogurt adds a wonderful tang of flavor and helps to make it nice and creamy as well as fluffy and light.
- Olive oil: Olive oil creates a wonderfully moist cake and adds a really nice flavor without needing to use butter.
- Eggs: Use fresh eggs, and organic if you can.
- Dry ingredients: Sugar, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt.
How to make an easy lemon bread
- Mix together the wet ingredients with the sugar.
- Whisk until smooth; although some lumps are fine.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients separately in a small bowl and add them to the bowl of wet ingredients.
- Whisk until just combined.
Pour the batter into a standard loaf tin that’s greased and lined with parchment parchment paper and bake in the preheated oven
You’ll know it’s ready when it looks golden and the sides start to pull away from the loaf pan. You can also test that a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
If you’d like, you can make the honey lemon glaze, but the lemon loaf is delicious on its own! Just combine the ingredients for the syrup on the stovetop. Use a toothpick to make holes in the top of the loaf and pour over the warm syrup.
Tips for making lemon bread
- Grease the loaf pan and use parchment paper for easy removal. When it comes to making quick breads, I love this double greasing method because nothing sticks to the bottom and the overhanging parchment paper makes it so easy to lift from the pan.
- Don’t over mix the batter. The dry ingredients should be just combined, if you over mix it the bread won’t be light and fluffy.
- Place batter in the oven quickly after adding mixing the dry ingredients. You don’t need to rush, but make sure the oven is ready before you begin this final mixing. Baking soda will react immediately with lemon juice, and you want that reaction to happen in the oven.
- Cover the bread with aluminum foil if necessary. If you notice after 30-40 minutes of baking that the top of the bread is browning too quickly, cover it loosely with aluminum foil to help it bake evenly on all sides
Frequently asked questions
Once the bread has cooled, place it in an airtight container. It will keep at room temperature for 2 days and in the fridge for up to a week. Cover it with foil or a plastic bag to prevent it from drying out.
Yes, this bread will freeze well for up to 3 months. Wrap the cooled bread tightly in foil and place in a freezer bag. You can thaw it at room temperature.
Yes, if you can, take out the ingredients 30 minutes before you start making this lemon loaf. Warm ingredients will combine more easily and trap air to create a fluffy bread.
More quick bread recipes:
- Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Strawberry Banana Bread
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Bread
- Chocolate Banana Bread
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Lemon Bread recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup honey
- Zest of two lemons
Make the Bread
- Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease a loaf pan and line with parchment paper for easier removal.
- In a large bowl, combine yogurt, olive oil, cane sugar, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking until completely smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk until just combined, but a few lumps are fine.
- Transfer the batter into the loaf pan and place in the oven immediately. Bake for 45-50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
Make the Syrup
- Combine the honey and lemon juice in a heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until honey is dissolved.
- Add lemon zest and bring to a boil for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and allow the bubbles to settle.
- Prick the top of the loaf in several places with a toothpick. Pour the hot syrup over the loaf evenly.
- Allow to cool for at least another 20 minutes before serving.
- Instead of greek yogurt, you can use sour cream or milk.
- I tested this recipe with a whole wheat white flour, but it will work with any other all purpose flours.
- To make this gluten-free, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix. Do not substitute only almond flour or only coconut flour.
- Replace honey with other types of granulated sugar or maple syrup.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.