This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Vegan Peppermint Brownies are so fun to make for the holidays. They’re dairy-free but they have a decadent flavor that won’t weight you down. Skip the eggs and skip the butter but maximize the flavor by using rich cacao, vegan chocolate chips and peppermint extract. These are such a wonderful treat to enjoy during the holidays!
The holidays are upon us and that means peppermint flavored treats, like my my Chocolate Peppermint Mousse and Chocolate Peppermint Bark! It’s one of my favorite festive flavors, and they take these brownies to another level! These vegan brownies are so delicious, and those that aren’t vegan won’t notice the difference. They’re so easy to make and the perfect holiday treat!
How to make vegan peppermint brownies
First up, make the flax eggs and leave to one side to thicken. Flax eggs are my go-to egg vegan substitute. It’s as easy as mixing ground flaxseed with water and letting it set for a few minutes. Then you’re ready to start making the brownie batter
- Melt the vegan butter then whisk in the sugars.
- Add the flax eggs and the peppermint extract on top
- Whisk the wet ingredients together until smooth and consistent.
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder and salt into the same bowl. Sifting them helps to remove any clumps to make sure the brownie batter is soft and chewy.
- Now stir to combine everything using a silicone spoon or spatula.
- Finally, you’re ready to fold in the chocolate chips, or you can use chocolate chunks or cacao nibs. This makes them extra chocolatey and gooey on the inside.
Pour the batter into a baking pan, smooth it over and bake, but make sure to use parchment paper to avoid anything sticking to the pan. I like to make the parchment paper long to easily pull it out of the pan after it bakes. When it comes out of the oven, sprinkle it with crushed peppermint if you’d like an extra festive look! Then let it cool, slice and devour!
Tips for making vegan peppermint brownies
- Substitute the flaxseed for chia seeds to keep the brownies vegan. Chia seeds work pretty similarly as a vegan binder and you can substitute them 1:1.
- Make them more fudgey by using ¼ cup less flour and/or 1-2 tablespoons more butter. Fudgy brownies really come down to the fat-to-flour ratio. So add more fat and/or reduce the flour to help you achieve that more fudgy consistency.
- Wait to add the crushed peppermint until after they’re baked. Otherwise they will melt and won’t have the fresh and crunchy effect.
- Allow the brownies to rest first in the pan and out of the pan on a wire rack before cutting into them. This will ensure that they set properly and keep their shape when you cut into them.
Frequently asked questions
How long do vegan peppermint brownies keep?
Once the brownies are baked and cooled, you can store them in an airtight container with the layers separated by parchment paper. They will keep at room temperature for 3 to 4 days and if stored in the fridge, they will last for 5 to 7 days.
Can brownies be made without eggs?
This brownie recipe is dairy-free and vegan, no eggs, butter or animal products are used. In traditional brownies, the egg is what helps to bind the mixture together, so I have replaced this with a flax egg. A flax egg is 100% natural and is so easy to make. Make it before you mix the batter so that it has time to thicken up. You can bu ground flaxseed in most stores.
Do vegan brownies taste the same as regular brownies?
These vegan peppermint brownies are perfectly fudgey and rich in flavor. They are a great option if not everyone in your family or friend circle is vegan as they will not notice the difference. They are just as easy to make as your regular brownie recipe and the peppermint makes them perfectly festive!
For more Christmas desserts, check out:
- Reindeer Brownies
- White Chocolate Dipped Sugar Cookies
- Chocolate Peppermint Mousse
- Chocolate Peppermint Bark
As soon as this batch of brownies were eaten I was being asked to make more! The whole family loved them, and I love how easy they are to make. And they are even more delicious the next day when they set. I’ll be baking a few more batches of these throughout the holidays!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feelgood Vegan Peppermint Brownies recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Vegan Peppermint Brownies
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF and line a 9 x 9 baking pan with parchment paper.
- Make the flax eggs by stirring the ground flax and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, melt the vegan butter. Then whisk the butter with the granulated sugar and the brown sugar until creamed. Add the flax eggs and peppermint and whisk until evenly combined.
- Over the same large bowl, sift in the flour, cocoa powder and salt. Add the salt and stir with a large wooden spoon until just combined, do not overmix.
- Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, until the middle of the brownies no longer jiggles and is just set.
- Remove from the oven, sprinkle the crushed peppermint on top, and allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes.
- Then pull the brownies out, using the parchment paper and let cool on a wire rack for another 15-30 minutes before slicing and serving.