This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Here’s a holiday treat that is rich, fluffy and absolutely decadent – chocolate peppermint mousse! The best part is that this tastes like the type of dessert you’d find at a fancy restaurant but it’s only made with 4 ingredients and it’s completely vegan! You’ll swoon over every chocolatey mint-infused spoon of goodness!
I got the idea to make this vegan version with only 3 ingredients from Minimalist Baker and I just love everything about it! It’s a perfect treat for chocolate lovers and a dream come-true for mint-chocolate lovers. But the cool thing about this recipe is that the essential components are chocolate and coconut cream. The peppermint oil just infuses a delightful fresh aroma and taste to the recipe.
4 ingredients to make the recipe
- Coconut cream: Use canned coconut cream, or the solid part of canned coconut milk. This helps to keep this mousse plant based while remaining rich and creamy.
- Dark chocolate: I like to use a chopped bar of dark chocolate, but you can also use chocolate chips if that’s what you have.
- Maple syrup: This is optional, but I like to add a little sweetness to this chocolate peppermint mousse. If not vegan, you can use honey instead.
- Peppermint extract: If you’re not smitten with the mint, you can leave it out completely, substitute almond extract, vanilla extract or just leave it out. If you love peppermint, be sure to check out my Chocolate Peppermint Bark and Vegan Peppermint Brownies!
How to make peppermint mousse
- Place the cold coconut cream in a large bowl. There will be a firm part and a liquidy part. Use both if it’s canned coconut cream. Use only the firm part if it’s canned coconut milk.
- Whisk with an electric mixer until smooth with soft peaks.
- Melt the chocolate and add it to the coconut cream with the maple syrup and peppermint extract.
- Whip together until it forms a mousse before your eyes!
- Divide into glasses and enjoy immediately or refrigerate for a cooler treat.
Tips to make this vegan dessert
- Use coconut cream, not coconut milk. This works best for a nice thick consistency. If using full-fat coconut milk from a can, then it is best to refrigerate the can and scoop out only the cream on the top. You can reserve the liquid in the bottom for other uses, and use ½ cup less chocolate. Otherwise, use coconut cream and add the full amount of chocolate.
- Use different chocolate. The flavor of dark chocolate works so well with the peppermint, and it also keeps this mousse vegan friendly. You can also make this with milk, semisweet or white chocolate if you prefer. My daughter loves it with white chocolate!
- Use an electric hand whisk to combine the ingredients. This helps to trap air into the mixture making it perfectly soft and fluffy. You can whisk it by hand, but it will take a little while longer, although it’s a great workout!
Frequently asked questions
This chocolate peppermint mousse is a great option for a make ahead dessert. Add it to the glasses and then cover with plastic wrap. It’s best served within 1 to 2 days, but will keep well for a week!
Because this mousse is made with coconut cream and no gelatine, it freezes well and will keep for up to a month. Thaw it in the fridge overnight, before serving.
You can serve this vegan chocolate mousse as it is, but to make it a little bit special, I like to top it with some reserved whipped coconut cream and some crushed candy canes or peppermint candy. If you like a salty and sweet dessert, try topping it with some crushed pretzels.
I’m in love with this chocolate peppermint mousse dessert for Christmas and all winter long. It has a fresh rich taste that’s the perfect appetite cleanser after a warm winter meal.
More chocolate recipes to try:
- Avocado Chocolate Mousse
- Chocolate Chia Pudding
- Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Coconut Balls
- Chocolate Protein Pancakes
- Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chocolate Peppermint Mousse recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Mousse
- 1 ½ cups chopped dark chocolate
- 1 15 ounce can coconut cream or solid part of canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup optional
- ¼ teaspoon pure peppermint extract
- Coconut whipped cream for garnish
- Refrigerate the coconut cream overnight. When ready to use, transfer the coconut cream to a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to whip the coconut cream until smooth. Save a few tablespoons to use as garnish for the mousse.
- Melt the chopped chocolate in the microwave until it is smooth and glossy in 30 second intervals, for 2-3 minutes, stirring after each interval. Pour the melted dark chocolate on top of the whipped coconut cream.
- Add the maple syrup and the pure peppermint extract and whip until it forms a mousse-like texture.
- Divide into 4 glasses, and top with the reserved coconut whipped cream and crushed peppermint, if desired. Serve immediately or chill for a few hours.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
This mousse was delightful! I didn’t add the peppermint, only because I’m not a fan of peppermint. It almost didn’t make it to the rest of my family, due to me eating it beforehand. It was very delicious and extremely easy to make!
The peppermint can definitely be optional. I’m glad that the rest of the family also got to try it – even if it was just a little bit! Thank you!!
Made this yesterday for Christmas dessert. It was a great hit!! It wasn’t too sweet. Will definitely be making this one again. Just had a difficult time with the coconut cream-didn’t fluff up at all so I used coconut milk and came out beautiful!! Thank you for all your wonderful recipes!! Love cooking/Baking them! Next is baklava!!
Yay so glad to hear that! And I hope you enjoy the baklava!
The Chocolate Mousse was a hit for our Christmas dinner dessert. Just over beat it a little so next time I’ll get it right. Loved it! Thanks! ❤️
Glad you enjoyed it for Christmas! Thank you 🙂
These look delicious! My first attempt was not successful. I’m gonna give it a second go. I put the coconut cream in my stand mixer for at least 15 minutes but it didn’t reach a soft peak like the ones pictured here. Any tips?
Hi there! Did you make sure to refrigerate the coconut cream? And please make sure it was a can of coconut cream and not coconut milk. Please let me know if that helps!
Thank you so much!!!! I loved the recipe! Can’t believe how easy it is to make! Thank you so much for sharing❤️❤️❤️❤️
Yay! So glad to hear you enjoyed it!
Fluffy and absolutely decadent
I could so have one of these right now.
Wish I can mail you one! lol