This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These oven baked bell peppers are stuffed with tuna salad and topped with cheese for a delicious and easy-to- make main meal. Healthy and delicious, these tuna melt stuffed peppers come together easily and quickly and are so flavorful!
Ingredients to make the recipe
- Bell peppers: I like to use red peppers which are sweeter, but any color will work well. You can even use the mini bell peppers. Just remove the stem and seeds.
- Tuna: StarKist Solid Yellowfin Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil is what I used here. You can also use white albacore tuna. If you’re using one packed in water, it might be a good idea to add some olive oil to the tuna mixture for a comparable taste.
- Celery and green onions: For flavor and texture. You can also use red onions or sweet onions.
- Greek yogurt: Yogurt adds a nice creaminess as well as extra protein and probiotics.
- Seasonings: Lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt and pepper.
- Shredded cheese: To top the peppers for the ultimate tuna melt experience.
How to make tuna stuffed bell peppers
- Start by making your favorite tuna salad or use the combination of ingredients in the recipe card below. It has such a wonderful flavor that’s perfect in this stuffed peppers recipe. Make sure to mix it well with a fork so the ingredients are well combined.
- While you’re mixing the tuna salad, you can cook the halved bell peppers in the oven until they soften.
- Add the tuna salad to each pepper half.
- Top with the shredded cheddar cheese and bake just until the cheese is melty.
Tips for making the recipe well
- Use tuna with extra virgin olive oil. I usually opt for tuna with water and then drain the water. But I recently found these wild yellow fin tuna packed with extra virgin olive oil, and it really makes such a difference with the taste especially since we’re not using any mayo!
- Make sure to cook the peppers before adding the tuna salad. If you’re looking for more of a cold lunch situation, you can keep the peppers uncooked and leave out the cheese. But since we’re adding the cheese for a tuna melt, it helps to soften the bell peppers first and then finish cooking with the tuna and cheese.
- Use Greek yogurt for a healthier option. Tuna salad like this is often made with mayo which is much higher in fat. As well as containing less fat, Greek yogurt also contains protein and probiotics and it adds a nice fresh tang too.
Frequently asked questions
You can make the tuna salad up to 3 days ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge. You can also stuff the peppers a day ahead of time and then just pop them in the oven before serving.
These tuna stuffed bell peppers are great to serve with veggie, salad, potato or rice sides. Try them with:
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice
Classic Greek Salad
These tuna stuffed bell peppers are a great healthy dinner choice. They are low carb, low calorie and high in protein. If you want to make them even healthier you can skip the cheese, but this is non negotiable for me!
These tuna stuffed bell peppers are so quick and easy to make, they are a perfect option for an easy weeknight meal that the whole family will love.
More recipes with tuna:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Tuna Melt Stuffed Bell Peppers recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
Tuna Melt Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 2 bell peppers halved and cored
- 2 4.5-ounce StarKist Solid Yellowfin Tuna in Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 celery stalks minced
- 4 green onions sliced (greens and whites separated)
- ⅓ cup 2% Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Place the green pepper halves in an oven-safe baking dish and bake until the peppers soften, about 15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, stir together the Greek yogurt, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Add the tuna on top, along with the celery and most of the green onions (leaving some for garnish). Gently stir until well combined.
- Scoop the tuna salad into the crevice of the four baked pepper halves and sprinkle the cheddar cheese on top. Return the peppers to the oven until the cheese melts, about 5 more minutes.
- Garnish with extra green onions and serve warm.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Definitely liked this. Trying to get more tuna/seafood in my diet and this does the trick. I didn’t watch the video first so put the whole cans of tuna into the mix, oil and all. Next time I’ll drain the tuna but, other than that, no need to change anything.
Hi Crip! So glad you liked the tuna melt stuffed peppers! If you’re using the Starkist tuna with EVOO, you do not have to drain it, but you can drain it if you prefer.
Yay! You’re so welcome!
Looks really yummy
Thank you so much!
Love this recipe I do it all the time so easy and so tasty sometimes I replace the tuna with chicken and still delicious.
Thank you! So many ways to switch it up!
This is so easy to make and adaptable, I used two different kinds of tuna for extra zing. Although it’s perfect the way it is!
Thank you so much! That’s exactly what I was going for.
Just tried it as a quick dinner for my and my husband, great it was so yummy and light and easy , thank you
That’s great to hear! Yay!!
Made these a couple of weeks ago; tasted good, but boy were they mushy inside. Could be that German yogurt is runnier than US varieties.
Going to make them again tonight – and mix in some almond flour instead of the usual breadcrumbs in other recipes.
Thank you for a good low carb dinner idea!
Glad you enjoyed the taste! Let me know how it goes with the almond flour!
Tried these stuffed peppers and it’s so yummy and easy! Definitely adding this to my weeknight meals…thank you so much Yumna!
That’s so great to hear! You’re so welcome!
I loved it. I cooked it for the first time. So so good and easy. It’s very filling too.
Yay! That’s amazing!
This recipe was truly OUTSTANDING!! It is a must try. So easy and simple to prepare, and yet so delicious.
Wow, thank you so much! Exactly what I was going for!!
Easy and delicious. Thank you!
Yay! You’re so welcome!!
Very delicious and simple to make!
Absolutely delicious.I roast the pepper halves until soft. Seasoned only with olive oil ,pink salt and pepper.Then fill them after they have cooled off with the tuna mixture.Always delicious.Thank you.
I love that! You’re so welcome!!
OMG this is so yummy and light
Except i didn’t soften the bell pepper i just added tuna directly to it and to the oven and it was super delicious 🤤
Thank u 💕
Loved this recipe since I found it on ig (thank you explore page) and had to do it. Looks so good and so yummy. Looks like a made a lot of effort, but is very easy.
My husband enjoyed it very much.
I’m so glad you came across it! It really is! Thank you!
Super easy and light. I rarely cook but this was perfect. I did 12 halves using 3 cans of tuna and just kind of guessed measurements 🙂 but it worked and was yummy, teen approved.
Thank you! Glad it was teen-approved too!
These are absolutely delicious! So flavorful & very filling! Great for a weekday dinner!
So delicious and easy to make!
It was delicious 😋 made 6 of them!!! 🎉❤️🎉 Thanks so much for the recipe and all your recipes!!!
Yay! Thank you!!!
I made this dish last night and it turned out sooooo goooood! Everyone loved it..!!
Replaced celery and tune with carrots and chicken.. The greek yogurt was the star of the dish I must say.. I also roasted the bell peppers for 20 mins before adding the stuffings..
Yay! I’m so happy to hear that!
Hey!! I love all your recipes! Just wondering if you had a dairy free alternative to the Greek yogurt for this recipe?
I would try finding a vegan Greek yogurt to use in this recipe!
Tuna melt bell peppers – such an amazing simple recipe, but so much flavour to it. Thank you for the inspiration
Exactly what I was going for! Most welcome!!
Thank you, Cecilia!
Forgot to click on the stars ⭐️
I made your Tuna Melt Stuffed Peppers for me and my girlfriend and they were absolutely incredible!! We recommend them 10/10 and I plan on making them again soon 😁 Thank you! Thank you!
I’m so glad you both enjoyed it! Thank you!!
Wow, I love that! Yay!!
I’m so happy to hear! Thank you!!
I tried and I’m in love! Easy, healthy, delicious and so satisfying!
I couldn’t be any happier to hear that! Thank you!
I loved making these, so simple yet so delicious!
That makes me so happy to hear! Thank you!
Super easy to make but so delicious!
Yay! Thank you!
So so yummy! And fit into my macros my trainer gave me and made this with things I already had in the kitchen. New year, new lunch ideas. Thank you.
I love that you were able to fit this into your lifestyle! Hope this year is filled with so many more lunch ideas. Thank you!
Mine were not as pretty but boy were they good!! Such a terrific idea and delicious!
Aww, thank you so much!