This Pumpkin Pesto Pasta is a magical green sauce that's fresh, zesty and super flavorful. The best sauce for your pasta, pizza or anything Italian!
When it’s winter and you’re still making pesto…Who’s with me? And who says pesto has to be a summer thing, anyways? I put a little winter spin on the classic Italian recipe by using kale (which peaks in the fall and winter) and pumpkin seeds, because…hello pumpkin everything!
If you’ve never made a pesto at home before, you’re going to love the taste of this fresh homemade recipe. And PS. if you’e never made a pesto at home before, you can start with my simple basic pesto recipe for the more classic ingredients, which include basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil and parmesan cheese. In this Pesto 2.0 recipe – the Pumpkin Seed Pesto – I used some kale to replace some (just some you guys, don’t freak out…) of the beloved basil. And I used toasted pumpkin seeds to replace the pine nuts. You can also use walnuts, almonds or even macadamia nuts. Go Nuts! (Pun Intended 😉
Regardless what nuts or seeds you use, you basically throw the ingredients in the blender and pesto pronto….you’ve got a bright green garlicky flavor bomb sauce ready to go on your favorite pasta…or pizza, or sandwich, or virtually anything, let’s be serious here.
So don’t throw away those pumpkin seeds if you’ve haven’t yet. Use them to make this Pumpkin Pesto Pasta.
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Pumpkin Pesto Pasta recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
For more pasta dishes:
Pumpkin Pesto Pasta
- 2 cups kale destemmed and torn into pieces
- 1/2 cup basil
- 1/3 cup hulled roasted, salted pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 16 oz pasta of choice for serving
- In the bowl of your food processor, place the pumpkin seeds, kale, basil, parmesan cheese, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Pulse until combined and thoroughly blended.
- With the processor still on, slowly pour the olive oil and blend until everything comes together well.
- Toss the cooked pasta of choice with the pesto. Sprinkle extra parmesan cheese and enjoy!