This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
No Bake Energy Bites are exactly what they sound like – they are a whole snack made with 6 ingredients all rolled up into a ball to give you plenty of energy as a mid-day snack. They are full of protein, fiber and good fats which will keep you feeling satiated and staying away from processed packaged snacks.
The snack market now compared to how it was 10 years ago is drastically different. It’s much easier to find clean labels and products with minimal ingredients. Yet, the best ones tend to also be pricey because of the quality of ingredients. One snack you can easily make at home though is these no bake energy bites.
I love having a batch of these energy balls in my fridge throughout the week. Then I easily grab a couple when I’m on the go and want a fast nutritious bite. For energy bites, these surprisingly need little energy to make!
Why are energy balls good for you
There are so many variations of this snack all over now. They’re called energy bites, fat balls, protein bites, and countless other names. One thing that’s consistent though is how healthy they are for you! It’s a great snack made with wholesome and feel good ingredients. It’s a handful of superfood ingredients that are so good for your body.
How to make no bake energy bites
Throw all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix until well combined and sticky, but doesn’t stick to your fingers. I played around with the energy bites mixture a few times and the recipe below comes out perfectly for me every time now!
Once you mix it all together, allow it to set in the fridge for one hour. That will let everything stick better together and allow the flavors to really soak in.
Then you’re ready to roll them into balls. I use a cookie scoop to make about 1-2 inch thick energy bites. You can also just use your hands and roll them into any sizes you like.
How to customize no bake energy bites
This is one of those recipes that you can totally experiment with to add ingredients you like. Taste and test to get a mixture you love.
- Oats: You can add more quick oats or rolled oats to the recipe. If you do though, be sure to add back some moisture peanut butter or honey to help it stick together. You can also add some water which will help to soften the oats.
- Seeds: Chia seeds, flax, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds give the energy bites more plant-based protein and give them an extra crunch. I only used ground flaxseeds, but feel free to add others.
- Nuts or nut butters: Use small chopped nuts or nut butter. This is another way to add healthy fats, flavor and protein to the energy bites. If you’re adding more nut butter, you’ll need to add some dry ingredients to off-set it, like oats, almond flour, protein powder or powdered peanut butter. For every ¼ cup of nut butter, use 1 cup of dry ingredients.
- Dried fruit: Think of using chopped dates, raisins, apricots, coconut or cranberries. I would recommend chopping them up finely or blending in the food processor. And if you are adding more dried fruit, it helps to balance out the sweetness with something salty or bland like more nuts, oats, almond meal or unsweetened protein powder.
- Spices: To add more flavor, I love throwing in cinnamon, or other warm spices like nutmeg, ginger, cardamom, turmeric or cloves. A lot of these spices have anti-inflammatory properties too so you’ll get a healthy dose of that in your energy bites!
- Sweet surprises: Hello chocolate chips and chocolate chunks! These make the energy bites more fun and sweet – perfect for kids! You can also add white chocolate chips, butterscotch chips or even toffee pieces.
Tips to make no bake energy bites
- Allow 30 minutes to an hour for the dough mixture to chill. This will help the balls hold their shape when you roll them and it will also help the flavors to develop.
- Wet your hands when rolling the energy bites. This will help to to add some moisture to the oats since we’re not cooking them. It also helps to keep form the mixture into a ball much easier.
- Use a cookie scoop to form the balls. This will help you create similar sized bites and the mixture will be easier to scoop and shape. I also think it’s much faster than using your hands
- The mixture should be slightly tacky to the touch. If the mixture is too dry, try adding more peanut butter or honey. On the other hand, if you feel that the mixture is too wet, you can fix that by adding more oats or more flaxseed.
Frequently asked questions
How long do no bake energy bites keep?
Once you have rolled the balls, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. You can separate the layers with parchment so that they don’t stick together, but that’s usually not a problem. The bites will keep in the fridge for around 10 days – I always make a double batch!
Can you freeze energy bites?
Yes, you can freeze these balls. Freeze them on a baking sheet and once frozen you can transfer them to a freezer safe container or bag. You then simply need to thaw them in the fridge overnight.
Can you make them vegan?
You can make these energy bites vegan by simply swapping the honey for maple syrup. Although I found that the mixture holds better with the sticky honey. You may need to add a couple tablespoons of water if using maple syrup.
More No-Bake Snacks:
- Chocolate Coconut Balls
- No Bake Pumpkin Balls
- Almond Joy Bites
- Cookie Dough Bars
- Vegan Protein Bars
- Healthy Protein Balls
These bites are vegan-friendly (swap honey for maple syrup), gluten free and packed full of healthy ingredients that will keep you feeling satiated. I hope you make this homemade healthy snack that’s full of feel good natural ingredients. And I hope it gives you energy to tackle your day with a pep in your step! Have fun with the recipe and customize it to your liking!
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good No Bake Energy Bites recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
No Bake Energy Bites
- Place all the ingredients together in a large bowl and mix with a spoon or spatula until well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator to set for half hour.
- Once chilled, remove from the fridge, use a cookie scoop to form the mixture into balls and roll with your hands.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for 7-10 days.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.