This Ratatouille Recipe is vegan, gluten-free & Whole30 compliant. It's a classic end-of-summer French meal made super simply in one pot & loaded w/ veggies
This Ratatouille Recipe is a classic french recipe that you can make with end-of-summer vegetables like eggplant, zucchini, tomatoes and peppers. It’s a very hearty dish has a wonderfully light and fresh flavor since it’s loaded with color and and nutrient dense ingredients. The best part is you can make it quickly in one pot!
How to make Ratatouille
Start by preparing the vegetables and chopping everything a similar size. You’ll need onions, eggplant, zucchini and red bell peppers:
Next, you’ll slowly add those ingredients into the pot to cook the ratatouille recipe. Here are the step-by-step instructions:
- Cook onions with olive oil until they’re soft and translucent.
- Add the eggplant, zucchini and bell peppers to the onions along with garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper.
- Now you want to mix everything together to add some color to the vegetables and soften them just a bit.
- Next add the canned diced tomatoes along with some water and red wine vinegar
- Cook on low covered until all the vegetables fully soften.
- When it’s done cooking, you can add some grated parmesan cheese if you’d like or keep the ratatouille recipe vegan without the cheese.
The nice twist to the recipe is the addition of the chickpea fritters! I made them by simply mashing canned chickpeas until they were nice and mushy. And then I mixed the mushy chickpeas with chickpea flour and chives. Finally, I lightly pan-friend them with olive oil and ate along with the ratatouille – an awesome combo!
For more dinner recipes:
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Chickpea Fritters & Ratatouille recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
This Ratatouille Recipe recipe was originally published on February 18, 2017. I’m re-sharing it with more step-by-step photos. Here’s the original photo 🙂
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Italian eggplant chopped
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 1 15-ounce canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese (optional)
- In a medium pot over medium heat, heat the olive oil, add onions and cook until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, eggplant, zucchini and bell pepper; season with salt, pepper and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring occasionally for 5-8 minutes.
- To the pot of vegetables, add the diced tomatoes, red wine vinegar and 1/2 cup of water. Reduce the heat to low and cook covered for 7-9 minutes until all the flavors combine well. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, if desired
- Serve ratatouille with bread or fritters if desired.