This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These homemade steak gyros are seriously the best! Made with flank steak that is marinated before being quickly grilled and served in pita with fresh veggies and a tzatziki sauce. This is one tasty and easy dinner – easier than you’d think!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Steak: Use flank or skirt steak for this recipe. It is very flavorful and when marinated it only requires a very quick cook time to become perfectly tender.
- Marinade: The Mediterranean marinade is made from olive oil, oregano, red wine vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper.
- Pita: Use pocketless pitas and warm them before serving with the steak gyros. You can use white or wholegrain, or you could even use tortilla wraps.
- Vegetables: Lettuce, red onions and tomato. You can also add cucumbers, pickled red onions or bell peppers.
- Tzatziki: You can make your own tzatziki in a few minutes, or use store bought. Hummus would also work great as an additional topping.
How to make homemade steak gyros
- Marinade the steak, giving it a toss a couple times.
- When ready to cook, add the steak to a hot grill pan or outdoor grill.
- Cook on both sides until golden brown or to your desired doneness.
- Once rested, cut the steak and add to the pitas with the vegetables and tzatziki sauce.
Tips for making gyros
- Cut the steak against the grain. This helps to break up muscle fibers which ends up making the steak more tender and not tough to chew.
- Allow the steak to come up to room temperature before grilling. Take the steak out of the fridge about an hour before you want to cook it. If you place cold steak on a hot grill, it can seize up and have a tough and chewy texture.
- Marinate the steak for at least one hour. Flank steak is a tough cut of beef and definitely benefits form a longer marinade to allow it to become tender. We find that a four hour marinade produces the best results.
- Make it your own. You can easily substitute the ingredients in the marinade to suit your tastes. You can use different dried herbs, or add in some lemon juice for a burst of fresh flavor. The red wine vinegar can be swapped for sherry vinegar or apple cider vinegar if you have those to hand. You can of course add other salad veggies to your pita to serve.
Frequently asked questions
These gyros work best with flank or skirt steak. These thinner cuts of steak are tougher, but also very flavorful, and once marinated and grilled they become very tender. You can make these with sliced sirloin or other types of steak, but cooking times will vary slightly.
These steak gyros are a real crowd pleaser, but you can easily make them with chicken or lamb if you prefer. If making with chicken breasts, they will only require 30 minutes to an hour of marinating time, but will take slightly longer to cook through.
These marinated beef gyros are pretty filling when served in the pita with the veggies and tzatziki sauce, but for a fuller meal, you can serve them alongside any of these recipes:
Oven Baked Fries
Air Fryer Potatoes
Quinoa Avocado Salad
Mediterranean Chopped Salad
These steak gyros are so quick and easy to make at home, and are loaded full of wonderful flavors. Enjoy them by themselves or with your favorite sides for a meal that the whole family will love!
More Mediterranean recipes:
- 7 Layer Mediterranean Dip
- Mediterranean Couscous with Shrimp
- Roasted Cauliflower Pitas
- Creamy Feta Dip
- Mediterranean Frittata
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Steak Gyros recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves grated
- 1 ½ pounds flank or skirt steak trimmed
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 pocketless small pitas warmed
- romaine lettuce shredded
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 1 tomato thinly sliced
- In a large, shallow bowl, mix oil, oregano, vinegar, and garlic. Add steak and toss to fully coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate at least 30 minutes or up to 4 hours, flipping the steak halfway through. Remove from fridge at least 1 hour prior to cooking.
- Preheat grill, grill pan, or large cast iron skillet, to medium-high heat. Season both sides of steak generously with salt and pepper. Let excess marinade drip off steak and transfer steak to pan. Cook until golden brown, 5-7 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer steak to a cutting board and allow meat to rest for 5 minutes. Slice steak into 1/2-inch pieces across the grain.
- Assemble gyros by stuffing pita halves with lettuce, onions, tomatoes, and steak. Drizzle with tzatziki sauce and serve immediately.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Absolutely delicious 😋