This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Ricotta and mozzarella come together for a cheesy, easy flatbread pizza that’s topped with homemade pesto and fresh sliced tomatoes. Topped with fresh herbaceous basil, this easy recipe comes together in 15 minutes for a quick and satisfying weeknight meal.
This flatbread pizza is simple to make and can be customized with your favorite toppings. I like to use homemade flatbread, but you can use store-bought as well. Top with a layer of ricotta cheese and mozzarella and the pesto for a flavorful and savory note. Finish with fresh sliced tomatoes for a touch of sweetness and acidity. You’ll love how quick and easy this pizza is to throw together!
why you’ll love this easy flatbread pizza recipe
- Full of flavor. The pesto, tomatoes, and fresh herbs give this pizza a ton of flavor.
- Quick and easy to make. This recipe comes together in 15 minutes! It can be customized with your favorite toppings.
- Use store-bought or homemade flatbread. If you don’t have time to make your flatbread from scratch (which I highly recommend trying one day!), you can use store-bought.
- Cheesy and delicious. The ricotta and mozzarella come together for a cheesy, delicious pizza.
Ingredients to make flatbread pizza with pesto and tomato
- Flatbread: My flatbread recipe only requires 6 ingredients and takes no time at all the prep or cook!
- Ricotta: I like to use whole milk ricotta for this recipe, but you can use low-fat if you prefer.
- Mozzarella: Use fresh mozzarella for the best flavor and texture.
- Pesto: You can either make your own pesto or use store-bought. Making your own pesto is really simple and only requires a few ingredients, but store-bought will work in a pinch.
- Tomatoes: I like to use fresh tomatoes for this recipe, but you could also use sundried tomatoes.
- Fresh Garlic: I love the flavor that fresh garlic adds to this recipe.
- Salt & Pepper: Just a pinch to balance out the flavors.
How to make flatbread pizza
Making homemade flatbread pizza is easy and only takes a few minutes to assemble and cook!
Prepare cheese mixture
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic, and black pepper.
- Mix until well combined.
- Place the flatbreads on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Spoon the ricotta cheese mixture on top of the flatbreads.
- Add dollops of pesto on top of each flatbread, and add sliced tomatoes on top.
- Bake until the ricotta cheese gets melted and the flatbreads are crisp and light brown in color.
Tips for making this flatbread pizza recipe
- Use fresh ingredients. Mozerella and ricotta tend to have a better flavor when they’re fresh. You also want to use ripe, but not over-ripe tomatoes for this recipe.
- Don’t overdo it on the toppings. You don’t want to overload your flatbread pizza with toppings, or it will be difficult to eat, and the crust won’t be as crisp.
- Par-bake your flatbread for an extra crispy crust. If you have the time, I recommend par-baking your flatbread for a few minutes before adding the toppings.
- Salt your tomatoes to draw out moisture. This will help to prevent your flatbread from getting soggy. Just sprinkle a little salt on your tomato slices and let them rest on a paper towel for a few minutes before adding them to your pizza.
popular substitutions & additions
- Change up the toppings. The sky is the limit when it comes to toppings for your flatbread pizza. Some of my other favorites include: beef pepperoni, grilled lemon chicken, onions, mushrooms, and olives.
- Make it vegan. To make this recipe vegan, you can use a vegan cheese in place of the ricotta and mozzarella. There are some great options available at most grocery stores these days.
- Add some spice. If you like a little heat, you can add some red pepper flakes to the pesto or top your pizza with sliced jalapeños.
- Use tomato sauce instead of pesto. If you’re not a fan of pesto, you could use a tomato sauce or even a barbecue sauce in its place.
how to store & reheat flatbread pizza
This pizza is best enjoyed fresh, but leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
Reheat in a 350°F oven until warmed through. You could also reheat this pizza in the microwave, but be aware that the crust will not be as crispy.
how long will flatbread pizza last in the fridge?
This flatbread pizza will last for about two days in the fridge. The fresh tomatoes will start to lose their flavor after a day or so, but the pizza will still be edible. The tomatoes may weep into the flatbread, causing it to become soggy. The cheese barrier does help, but it won’t last forever.
can I freeze flatbread pizza?
You could freeze the flatbread itself, but I do not recommend freezing this recipe as a whole. The tomatoes won’t reheat well from frozen to thawed, and the pizza will most likely be soggy.
Frequently asked questions
No, flatbread crust is much thinner than a traditional pizza crust. It’s more like a cracker or thin bread.
No, I don’t recommend it. The flatbread will not cook evenly that way, and you’ll end up with a soggy pizza and sections of raw dough.
No, flatbread is a type of bread that can be either leavened or unleavened. Naan is a leavened flatbread that originates from India, and pita is a Middle Eastern bread that’s made without yeast. Though, all of these breads are thin and can be used in this recipe and will yield similar results.
Whether you’re looking for an easy weeknight dinner or a fun weekend lunch, this flatbread pizza recipe is sure to please! With its simple ingredients and quick cook time, it’s a meal that the whole family can enjoy. And with its endless topping possibilities, you can customize it to fit everyone’s tastes. So go ahead and give it a try. I think you’ll be surprised at how delicious homemade flatbread pizza can be!
More flatbread/pizza recipes:
- Homemade Flatbread Recipe
- Yogurt Flatbread
- Zaatar Manakeesh
- Shawarma Pita Pizza
- Garlic Naan Pizza
- Grilled Pizza
- Homemade Pita Bread
- Cast Iron Pizza
If you try this feel good Pesto Tomato Flatbread Pizza recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
This Pesto Tomato Flatbread Pizza recipe was originally published on August 14, 2017. The recipe has been slightly modified and the post now includes new step-by-step photos for how to make the flatbread pizza.
Pesto Flatbread Pizza
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the flatbreads on 2 baking sheets lined with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, mozzarella cheese, garlic and black pepper. Spoon the mixture on top of the flatbreads.
- Add dollops of pesto on top of each flatbread and add sliced tomatoes on top.
- Bake until the ricotta cheese gets melted and the flatbreads are crisp and light brown in color, 5-7 minutes. Serve warm with fresh torn basil.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.