What to do when your bread has been on the counter one too many days? Breathe new life into it! Bread pudding is an international sensation, passed down for generations because it’s just that good. Even if it wasn’t in your family’s recipe rotation growing up — there’s no better time than now to integrate it into yours. You’re gonna fall in love’ish with this Healthy’ish Whole Wheat Bread Pudding.
Let’s face it, even the most health-conscious of us all get a hankering for a totally sweet and fabulous dessert sometimes. So what if I told you you can fill your craving without a load of calories and with alternative ingredients that transform dessert into a do-good-thing for your body? Consider yourself told! Enter: Healthy’ish Whole Wheat Bread Pudding. Whole wheat bread is low in fat and high in fiber which helps our digestive tracts function like a fine-tuned machine.
My version of bread pudding incorporates a combination of almond milk, applesauce and whole wheat bread for a trimmer treat. Add a dash of honey and vanilla and you’re in business. Serve the bread pudding right out of the oven, so warm and gooey, it smells like fall! Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and then watch your family swoon over your mouthwatering creation.
Try it, Love it, Share it!
Healthy'ish Whole Wheat Bread Pudding
- 1 medium loaf crusty whole wheat bread cut into 2-inch squares (equals about 5-6 cups)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk or milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, almond milk, applesauce, honey, vanilla and salt.
- Fold in the cubed bread, making sure it's all coated well.
- Transfer mixture to an 8x8 baking dish, cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour to allow the bread to soak up the flavors.
- Preheat oven to 350 F and bake bread pudding for 45 to 50 minutes, until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Serve warm with a spoon of vanilla ice cream, or enjoy it cold!