This Cashew Milk Vegan Hot Chocolate is one of my favorite holiday drinks - it's vegan, paleo-friendly, naturally sweetened & easy to make with a few ingredients!
There’s nothing that makes winter and 6 inches of snow more “acceptable” than a warm cup of hot chocolate! Over the last few years I’ve become increasingly lactose sensitive, which is not cool for a hot chocolate lover like myself. And that’s why I created this vegan hot chocolate.
Hey, this is a great time to be alive and be lactose intolerant/sensitive because the abundance, variety and taste of plant-based milk is just amazing! Not only can you buy almond milk, cashew milk, soy milk, coconut milk, rice milk, oat milk and hemp milk, but you can pretty much make most of these at home. And so I used cashews to make this heavenly vegan hot chocolate.
How to make vegan hot chocolate
Step 1: Soak the cashews in water for 2 hours or overnight preferably so they soften and blend more easily.
Step 2: Make the cashew milk in a blender by blender the soaked cashews (without the water) along with the water, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
Step 3: This can be made in the blender if you have one with a warming soup function. Alternatively you can make it in the small saucepan by mixing the cocoa powder with the cashew milk until thick and smooth.
Just remember to soak a cup of cashews in water overnight and you’ll have everything you need for this velvety, chocolaty, smooth and rich vegan hot chocolate. I’m obsessed with this recipe because it’s:
- made without added sugar
- low fat
- easy to make
- and gives me cozy feels
What more can we want from this vegan hot chocolate?! Nothing at all. Thank you very much for making winter weekends more fun, cashew milk hot chocolate.
If you make this healthy-ish feel good Vegan Hot Chocolate recipe, please be sure to leave a comment and/or give this recipe a rating! I would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots of it, share it with me on Instagram so I can repost on my stories!
For more cozy holiday drinks, check out:
Vegan Hot Chocolate
- 1 cup raw cashews soaked
- 3 cups water
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- Pinch of coarse sea salt optional
- 1 oz dark chocolate optional
- Soak cashews in a mason jar overnight, or for at least 2 hours. When ready to use, drain and rinse well.
- Place cashews, water, maple syrup and vanilla extract in a blender and blend until completely smooth.
- Transfer the cashew milk to a medium pot on medium heat, add the cocoa powder and sea salt, and whisk until combined. Then stir in the dark chocolate until the chocolate is completely melted and warm, about 2-5 minutes.
- Serve warm with whipped coconut cream and shaved chocolate, if desired.