Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich with Walnut Pesto
I was so excited to make this Grilled Mozzarella Sandwich with Walnut Pesto today, I had the perfect picture in my head of the vibrant green pesto, beautiful ripe tomatoes and melted mozzarella cheese. So I pull out my food processor and it literally wouldn’t start! Thankfully, I had a small mini blender thingamajiggy and was able to make the pesto in that. Phew problem solved. Then, I asked my husband to grab the panini maker for me and he dropped it on the floor completely dismantling the top part from the bottom part…argh! But, hey, it still turned on, so I had him hold the top piece while I grilled the pieces of bread on the bottom piece of the panini maker. So, needless to say, there was a lot of effort in making this sandwich today! But the good news is, you don’t need much effort at all…you can make it in a jiffy!
Don’t have a panini maker? Just toast the bread regularly. Don’t have a food processor? Just buy store-bought pesto! But really, if you can find a way to make your own pesto, it really takes this sandwich to another level! For realz.
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- For the Sandwich
- 4 slices sourdough bread
- 4 oz mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 beefsteak or roma tomatoes, sliced
- 2 oz roasted red peppers (jarred)
- For the Pesto
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cup olive oil
- To make the pesto, place the basil, garlic, walnuts and Parmesan cheese in the food processor; season with salt and pepper, to taste, and blend. While the food processor is on, pour the olive oil slowly into the mixture in order to allow the olive oil to emulsify.
- Spread the pesto equally on the 4 slices of bread and place the bread on the panini maker or in a toaster oven for 2 minutes. Then place the mozzarella cheese, tomatoes and roasted red peppers on top of bread slices and allow the cheese to melt and the veggies to soften.
- Once the cheese melts, close the sandwich, cut and serve immediately
- If you have have pesto, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.