Caramelized Banana Pecan Protein Oatmeal
On weekdays, I don’t really think too much about breakfast…I either have warm oatmeal or cold overnight oats…It doesn’t get more complicated than that. Now, the oatmeal toppings on the other hand, that’s where you can make or break your oatmeal! I’ve heard too many people talk about how they can’t eat oatmeal because it’s so bland and unappealing. Well, this Caramelized Banana Pecan Protein Oatmeal recipe is a great way to introduce oatmeal to a non-believer.
I included my basic instructions for making oatmeal, or you can find the instructions on any package of rolled oats you buy. By the way, you can make this recipe with instant oats as well, but I just prefer the texture and taste of rolled oats. And it’s literally only an extra minute to make rolled oats vs quick oats. Then you can add a splash of milk and/or a tablespoon or protein powder for some extra energy! P.S. did you know protein oatmeal is called proats? Now you know! It’s totally a thing 😉
Ok, enough about the oats, because that’s certainly not the exciting part of this recipe! It’s all about that ooey gooey decadent caramelized banana action, I know…I know! It’s really easy to make, you just need “fatness” and “sweetness” with the bananas. For the fat, you can use butter, olive oil, canola oil or coconut oil. I like to use coconut oil because it infuses a subtle sweetness to the bananas without having a coconut taste. For the sweetness, I like to use light brown sugar. But you can use agave syrup, maple syrup or honey, etc.. Once the coconut oil heats up in the pan, add the brown sugar to it, then water down just a bit until you get a syrupy consistency. After that, fry up the bananas as much or as little as you want and voilà!
The taste is simply magical for a seemingly boring breakfast staple.
It tastes like dessert, smells like heaven and feels like breakfast victory!
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- Dash of salt
- Splash of milk of choice (optional)
- 1 Tbsp vanilla protein powder of choice (optional)
Caramelized Banana Pecan
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- Splash of water (1-2 Tbsp)
- 1 banana, sliced (can be under-ripened or ripened)
- 1 Tbsp pecans
- Dash of cinnamon
- Shredded coconut, optional
- In a microwave safe bowl, combine the rolled oats with 1 cup of water and a dash of salt. Cook in the microwave on high for 2 - 2 1/2 minutes until the oatmeal bubbles and looks completely cooked. Add a splash of milk of choice, if you desire and stir in the vanilla protein powder, if you desire.
Caramelized Banana Pecan
- In a medium skillet, heat the coconut oil. Then add the brown sugar and water and stir to combine. Once it creates a smooth thick sauce, arrange the bananas and the pecans on the skillet. Add a dash of cinnamon and cook the banana mixture for 1-2 minutes on each side.
- Remove the caramelized bananas and pecans from the heat and spoon them on top of the oatmeal.
- Add shredded coconut for serving, if you desire.