This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Delicious, fresh and so simple to make, you really can’t go wrong with a classic lettuce wedge salad. Topped with crumbled blue cheese and drizzled with a creamy tangy dressing, it’s great to serve as an appetizer or side dish.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Lettuce: Iceberg lettuce works the best for this salad. It’s perfectly crispy and fresh and stays in tact when quartered. You can use romaine lettuce if you’d like though.
- Tomatoes: Use cherry tomatoes for a little sweetness, or any other kinds. It helps to cut the small to allow them to sit on top of the iceberg lettuce wedge.
- Red onion: Finely diced red onion adds a nice tang to this salad. It’s milder than white or yellow onions and can be eaten raw.
- Blue cheese: Try Stilton blue cheese for a real kick of flavor or Danish Blue if you prefer a milder flavor. If you absolutely hate blue cheese, use feta cheese instead 🙂
- Dressing: Blue cheese, sour cream, yogurt, lemon juice, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce.
How to make a wedge salad
- Add the ingredients for the dressing to a bowl.
- Whisk to combine.
- Place the lettuce wedges on a plate and spoon over the dressing.
- Place the tomatoes, onions and crumbled blue cheese on top and season with salt and pepper.
Tips for making wedge salads
- Remove the outer leaves of the lettuce. These can be tougher to eat and less fresh.
- Cut the tomato and onion into small pieces. This will mean that it’s easier to get a bite of everything at the same time.
- Cut the lettuce through the core in quarters. This will ensure that all of the leaves are kept together and keep the wedges intact for best presentation.
- Make it into a fuller meal. Add some shredded chicken on top or chickpeas for plant based protein.
Frequently asked questions
This salad is best made as close to serving as possible, so that your lettuce is as fresh as possible. You can make the blue cheese dressing two or three days ahead of time and keep it covered in the fridge. If you do have leftovers, place in an airtight container and they will keep for around 3 days.
Iceberg lettuce is the traditional base for a wedge salad. Romaine lettuce will also work well cut in half for two servings.
Remove the top few layers of the outer leaves of the lettuce, then cut into quarters through the core. Carefully separate the inner leaves with your fingers and rinse under cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel before placing on the plate and adding the dressing and toppings.
This classic wedge salad with blue cheese dressing is perfect in its simplicity and presentation. Full of flavor and texture, it’s a great go to side dish or appetizer for any meal.
More salads to try:
- Caprese Pasta Salad
- Tabbouleh Salad
- Traditional Greek Salad
- Avocado Blueberry Salad
- Cobb Salad Jars
- Green Goddess Salad
If you’ve tried this healthy-ish feel good Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing recipe or any other recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce the outer leaves removed, cut into 4 wedges
- Half pint cherry tomatoes quartered
- ¼ cup diced red onions
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chives or parsley for serving
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese plus more for topping
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a bowl, combine the salad dressing ingredients and whisk to combine.
- Place each wedge of lettuce on a small salad plate. Gently spoon the dressing over each wedge. Add the tomatoes, onions and extra crumbled blue cheese on top and season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy immediately.