This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
You’re going to love making this Oven Baked Balsamic Chicken recipe. Loaded with flavor, it’s literally perfect for a simple family dinner. Let the oven take over and do the cooking with this simple and fast chicken dish.
Cooking chicken breast in the oven is a great way to retain the moisture and tenderness of the meat. The steady heat and temperature of the oven keep the chicken flavorful without being overcooked.
why you’ll love this Roasted Chicken Breast
- Flavorful and simple
- Moist and tender results
- Delicious to reheat and enjoy as leftovers
Ingredients to make Oven Baked Balsamic Chicken
- Skinless chicken breasts – I like to buy these at the store when they’re on sale and freeze them. Great way to save money and stock up.
- Balsamic vinegar – Don’t skip this! This adds so much flavor!
- Honey – Adding honey adds the perfect amount of sweetness to this dish to balance the balsamic vinegar
- Olive oil – Needed to add more liquid for the marinade that you’ll be putting onto the chicken.
- Dijon mustard – Such a great flavor to add to this dish.
- Garlic cloves – All dishes should have some sort of garlic added.
- Cherry tomatoes – Perfect for a bite size pop of sweetness and tart and ends up become saucy when baked with the chicken.
- Seasonings: Add salt, pepper to taste and don’t forget the dried basil and chopped parsley for extra flavor.
How to make Honey Balsamic Chicken
- Pat the chicken breasts dry with a clean paper towel and add them to the baking dish.
- Pour the prepared marinade over the top of the chicken breasts.
- Let marinate to soak in extra flavor – even 10 minutes will help!
- Slice the cherry tomatoes and add them to the baking dish all around the chicken.
- Place in the oven and bake. Serve with your favorite side dishes and enjoy!
Tips for making Balsamic chicken breasts
- Let the chicken marinate. You don’t have to give it a ton of time, but it does need some to soak in all the flavor and help make it extra juicy.
- Let the chicken rest for a few minutes. Before cutting into the chicken breasts, give them a few moments of rest time after being removed from the oven. This helps them stay extra juicy.
- Broil the chicken for extra color. This is not necessary, but to get a golden brown color on the top of the chicken breast, try broiling it for an extra minute after it’s done cooking. The broiling gives it a browned, glossy finish.
- Top with a little bit of parmesan cheese. This is my own little tip but I think that parmesan cheese sprinkled on top would be divine.
popular substitutions in the baked chicken
- Leave out the mustard. It’s really good flavor but if you don’t have dijon mustard at home, still make this roasted chicken recipe.
- Swap out the tomatoes. Instead of tomatoes, you could do onions, pepper, zucchini or even whole mushrooms as well.
- Use maple syrup. Not a fan of honey? Maple syrup could be a great option to use instead.
what to serve with your oven baked chicken
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- White Bean Salad
- Cauliflower Potato Salad
- Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Classic Caesar Salad
how to reheat & store healthy basalmic chicken
best way to store leftover chicken
Since this simple baked chicken recipe is perfect for lunch or dinner the next day, store any leftovers in an airtight container and keep it nice and cool in the fridge.
how long will oven baked balsamic chicken last in the fridge?
As long as you store it properly, it should stay good for 2-3 days.
can i freeze baked chicken?
Yes. The best way to freeze cooked chicken is to add the pieces to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag and store it in the freezer.
how to reheat honey baked chicken
When you’re ready to eat again, just reheat the leftovers low and slow in the oven or place them in the microwave to heat them back up.
Frequently asked questions
Always check the internal temperature for the chicken. Using a meat thermometer, make sure that the reading shows at least 165 degrees.
More than likely, you overcooked the chicken and that caused it to dry out and become chewy. Make sure that you pay attention to the cooking times closely.
I think that chicken is so versatile to use in other recipes. You can shred up chicken and use it for tacos or even as a shredded chicken sandwich of sorts as well.
You can also cube up chicken and add it to soups easily, too!
Once you taste the hint of sweetness that the honey adds paired with the flavor of the balsamic vinegar, you’re going to love this simple oven-baked chicken recipe even more!
More chicken recipes:
- Pickle Brined Chicken Tenders
- Oven Baked Chicken Tenders
- Roasted Rosemary Lemon Whole Chicken
- Honey and Browned Butter Chicken
- Broccoli and Cheese Stuffed Chicken
- Breaded Air Fryer Chicken
- Creamy Pesto Chicken
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Oven Baked Balsamic Chicken recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Oven Baked Balsamic Chicken
- 4 6 ounce skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes halved
- Chopped parsley for serving
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Pat the chicken breasts with a paper towel. Cover the chicken breasts with plastic wrap and use a meat mallet or rolling pin to pound and flatten them to equal thickness. Place in a 9×13 oven-safe baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, honey, olive oil, Dijon mustard, basil, salt, pepper and garlic until well combined. Pour the marinade over the chicken in the baking dish and flip each chicken breast in the marinade to evenly coat.
- Add the tomatoes around the chicken in the baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until meat thermometer inserted into thickest part of the chicken breast reads 165°F.
- Garnish with chopped parsley, and serve with your favorite sides.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
This was marvelous! I made a little extra marinade and added some additional veggies just because I had them on hand (red onion, zucchini, mushrooms). Thank you for this yummy recipe.
Oh yum!! Love the addition of the veggies!
Great recipe! We added other stuffs to turn the dish into a Korean version. My husband loves it so much he wanted me to record it in my diary. Thank you!
Thank you! What other stuff did you add? A Korean twist sounds delicious!
Our korean twist was in switching the cherry tomatoes to pureed tomatoes; adding chilli flakes, chilli powder, and sesame seeds. :))
Ooo that sounds amazing! I’ll have to try it. Thank you for sharing!
Most welcome, Yumna! Thank you again for the fabulous recipe to begin with!!
Found your website today and tried this chicken recipe. It was absolutely delicious and I will be making it again!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! Hope you get a chance to try some of the other recipes too!
Is there any way I can do this without olive oil? I have gallbladder disease and I’m trying to find yummy ways to eat bland chicken without added oil
You can probably make this recipe without the oil! However, it’s nice to have some fat in the marinade because it helps transfer the flavors to the chicken, so you could try substituting the oil with yogurt, tahini, or buttermilk. I have not tried this yet, so I’m not sure how well it’ll work out!
We LOVE this recipe! I just made it for dinner for about the 5th time… finally the toddlers asked for a bite and LOVED IT!
Thank you so much! That makes me so happy!
I tried this recipe today for lunch! So so good. Happy to discover that I can cook 🤣
That makes me so happy to hear! Yes!!
So I don’t actually normally comment but this dish was amazing this is my third time making it my family loves it basically verbatim to the recipe except for I don’t have Dijon mustard so I used what I had on hand which was the epicure sweet and spicy organic mustard which was amazing and I didn’t bother buying dijon for next time because it worked out so well as a substitute
Thank you so much for letting me know! That’s incredible! Yay!!
5 stars not sure why my 5 star didn’t show up last time.
Made this for dinner last night and it was a hit!
This was very easy to marinate and bake. My daughter who doesn’t like balsamic anything, even like it. Thank you for another great meal idea. You’ve become my go to for inspiration.
Thank you! That’s amazing to hear!
My most favorite! Thank you for Amazing recipes
You’re so welcome!
Yumna, this recipe will definitely be in my “chicken rotation”. I made it last night with just a couple of changes due to what I had on hand. I cut the recipe in half because there were only two of us. Next, I had balsamic vinegar but did not have honey so I used balsamic glaze which is sweeter along with some regular balsamic. I cooked it in my “smart oven/air fryer, and it was fantastic!!! I kept the chicken warm while I air fried the green beans. My husband liked the meal so much that he drank the leftover juices from the baking dish! This is a winner. Thank you for sharing it with us. 😄
That makes me so happy to hear! Glad you made it work and enjoyed!!
Made this tonight and it’s amazing! 10/10 will make again! Even made the air fryer green beans! Thanks so much for sharing
I love that! So glad you enjoyed the recipes!
I am obsessed with my new Breville Smart Oven/Air Fyer. Can I make this chicken it it instead and air fry the green beans while the chicken rests? I need the timing or do I just bake it at 425 for 20-25? Thank you! I want to make this tonight… I hope you see this in time.
You should be able to! I haven’t tried this in the air fryer yet, but I would estimate it’ll take 15 minutes to cook at 400F. You can test one with a thermometer to make sure that the internal temperature is 165°F before serving.
So easy, juicy and delicious! Definitely will be done regularly. ❤️
Thank you!! That makes me so happy to hear!
It deserves 5 stars.
Wow I’ll make this recipe tomorrow. It looks and sounds delicious and easy. Thank you
Hope you enjoy!! Thank you!