This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This creamy cucumber salad is light, refreshing, and oh so creamy! Tangy sour cream, a splash of red wine vinegar, fresh dill, garlic, and red onions make this cucumber salad irresistible.
Summertime is the perfect time for picnics and outdoor barbecues. And what better way to celebrate the warm weather than with a delicious cucumber salad? This recipe is easy to make and takes only five minutes to prepare. It’s perfect for potlucks, parties, or any other summer gathering. So gather your ingredients, and let’s get started!
why you’ll love this cucumber salad with sour cream
- Tart and refreshing. The combination of sour cream, vinegar, and dill gives this cucumber salad a tangy flavor that is perfectly balanced by the neutral flavor of the cucumber and red onions.
- Easy to make. This recipe comes together quickly and doesn’t require any cooking. Simply combine all of the ingredients in a bowl, and you’re done!
- Crowd pleaser. This salad is always a hit at potlucks and parties. Whether you’re serving it to family, friends, or strangers, everyone will love it!
- Can be eaten as a snack. This salad is light and refreshing, making it the perfect snack or side dish. It’s also a great way to get your daily dose of veggies!
Ingredients to make creamy cucumber and onion salad
- Cucumbers: I like to use English cucumbers because they’re thinner and have fewer seeds than regular cucumbers. However, you can use whatever type of cucumber you have on hand, like Persian cucumbers.
- Red onions: I prefer to use red onions in this salad because they’re slightly sweeter than white or yellow onions. However, you can use whatever type of onion you have on hand.
- Sour cream: You’ll need about ½ cup of sour cream for this recipe. I like to use full-fat sour cream, but you can use light or non-fat if you’re watching your calories.
- Dill: Fresh dill is best, but you can also use dried dill if that’s all you have.
- Red wine vinegar: Adds another layer of flavor to the salad.
- Seasoning: A little bit of sugar to balance the acidity, garlic powder, salt, and pepper is all you need to season this cucumber salad.
How to make A Creamy Cucumber Salad
- In a medium bowl, add the sour cream, vinegar, dill, sugar, and garlic powder.
- Mix until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sliced cucumbers and red onions on top of the sour cream dressing.
- Gently fold the sour cream and cucumbers together until well combined.
Tips for making creamy cucumber dill salad
- Thinly slice your cucumbers and onions. To get even slices, I recommend using a mandoline or even a vegetable peeler. If you don’t have one, you can also use a sharp knife.
- Use fresh dill. Fresh dill has a much better flavor than dried dill. If you can’t find fresh dill, you can use dried, but you’ll need to use less since it’s more potent.
- Taste as you go. Be sure to taste the salad before serving and adjust the seasoning as necessary. You may want to add more salt, pepper, or vinegar, depending on your preferences.
- Serve immediately. This salad is best served immediately after it’s made. If you let it sit for too long, the cucumbers will release water and make the salad soggy.
popular substitutions & additions
- Use mayo or greek yogurt instead of sour cream. If you’re not a fan of sour cream, you can use mayonnaise or even greek yogurt instead. I recommend using ½ cup of either for this recipe.
- Make it vegan. If you prefer not to use any dairy in this recipe, you can make this with plain unsweetened coconut yogurt or almond yogurt.
- Add in some chopped herbs. If you want to add more flavor to the salad, try adding in some chopped fresh herbs like parsley or chives.
- Make it spicier with a pinch of cayenne. For a little bit of heat, try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the salad.
- Add in some diced avocado. Avocado is a great addition to this salad because it adds creaminess and healthy fats.
what to serve with your easy creamy cucumber salad
- Grilled Lemon Chicken
- Grilled Mediterranean Chicken Kabobs
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Harissa Chicken
- Shish Tawook
how to store cucumber salad with sour cream
Cucumber salad is best served immediately after it’s made. The cucumbers will start to leech water shortly after the salad is made.
how long will cucumber salad last in the fridge?
If you do have leftovers you want to store, they will last about 24-48 hours in the fridge. You can drain off the excess liquid or mix it in.
Frequently asked questions
I would not recommend making cucumber salad more than an hour in advance as the cucumbers will start to release water, and the salad will become soggy.
Cucumbers are around 90% water making it near impossible to keep them from getting watery. You can sprinkle some salt directly on your cut cucumbers and place them in a colander for 30 or so minutes to help draw out some of the water.
Nope! You can leave the cucumbers unpeeled if you’d like. I personally prefer to leave them unpeeled because it saves time, and I like the look of the green peel in the salad. Plus, the skin is full of nutrients.
Creamy cucumber salad is a quick and easy side dish that’s perfect for summer BBQs, potlucks, and picnics. This salad is made with thin slices of cucumber, red onion, sour cream, dill, and a few simple seasonings. Whether you’re looking for a healthy side dish or a simple summer salad, this creamy cucumber salad is the perfect recipe for you!
More Salad recipes:
- Mediterranean Chopped Salad
- Mexican Street Corn Salad
- Tropical Fruit Salad
- Tomato Avocado Cucumber Salad
- Avocado Mango Salad
If you try this feel good Creamy Cucumber Salad recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- In a medium bowl, mix the sour cream, vinegar, dill sugar, and garlic powder until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Add the sliced cucumbers and red onions on top of the sour cream dressing and stir to coat.
- Serve immediately at room temperature or refrigerate for one hour before serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.