This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This almond cake is a delicious, almond-rich dessert that everyone will love. The semolina gives the cake a nice texture, while the almond flour and extract paired with the slivered almonds give it a great flavor. This cake is perfect for any occasion, and it’s dusted with just the right amount of powdered sugar for a beautiful finish.
This semolina almond cake is one of my favorites. It’s simple to make, and the almond flavor shines through. I like to dust it with powdered sugar for a sweet finish, but you could also add frosting or serve it with fresh fruit. The recipe is very versatile, so feel free to experiment with different flavors and ingredients. I hope you enjoy it!
why you’ll love this almond cake with almond flour
- Almond is the star. The naturally sweet, nutty flavor of almonds is front and center in this cake from the almond flour, almond extract and silvered almonds.
- It’s easy to make. The recipe is straightforward and doesn’t require any special ingredients or equipment.
- Low-carb cake. This cake is made with almond flour and semolina, which are both low in carbs.
- It’s perfect for any occasion. Whether you’re looking for a simple dessert or an impressive showstopper, this cake is perfect.
Ingredients To Make a Moist almond cake
- Almond flour: Almond flour gives the cake a moist, dense texture. It’s low in carbs and has a mild, nutty flavor.
- Semolina: Semolina is a type of flour made from durum wheat. It gives the cake additional texture. Make sure to use coarse semolina, but fine semolina will also work.
- Almond extract: Almond extract adds a rich, almond flavor to the cake but you can skip it if you can’t find or substitute with vanilla extract.
- Slivered almonds: Slivered almonds add texture and flavor to the cake. They also make a beautiful garnish.
- Unsalted butter: Use unsalted butter to control the amount of salt in the cake.
- Eggs: Eggs help to bind the ingredients together and add structure to the cake.
- Milk: Milk adds moisture and helps keep the cake from drying out.
- Baking soda & Salt: Baking soda and salt help to leaven the cake.
How to make A semolina almond cake
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, semolina flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, milk, and almond extract.
- Fold in the flour mixture just until combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan. Sprinkle the slivered almonds and the granulated sugar over the top.
- Bake in the preheated until golden brown and the edges of the cake pull away from the pan.
Tips for making The Best almond cake
- Use softened butter. For best results, make sure your butter is soft before creaming it with the sugar. Properly softened butter should easily dent when you poke it with your finger, but should not appear greasy. Grab my tips for how to soften butter four ways.
- Sprinkle in a tablespoon of flour between each egg. If you add the eggs to the creamed butter-sugar mixture all at once, the batter can start to look split. If this happens, there’s no need to worry—the cake will ultimately be fine and taste delicious. However, you can get a slightly better rise and final cake texture if you avoid this by adding the eggs one at a time and beating in a tablespoon of the flour mixture between each one. The flour will absorb the excess liquid, and ultimately prevent the batter from splitting.
- Level the top. This cake batter is too thick to settle and level itself off naturally in the oven, so make sure the batter is evenly distributed and the top is relatively smooth before you top it with the almonds and granulated sugar and bake it!
- Use parchment paper. Cut out a circle of parchment paper that’s a little smaller than the bottom of your pan and place it inside the cake dish to help prevent sticking. This will make it easier to remove the cake from the pan once it’s baked and keep the cleanup light.
popular substitutions & additions
- Fold dried fruit into the batter. You can add golden raisins, dried cherries, dates, or even apricots for a bit of chew and sweetness.
- Add citrus. You can use the juice or zest of oranges or limes. I recommend 1 tablespoon of juice or 2 teaspoons of zest.
- Frost it. A simple buttercream or even cream cheese frosting on top of this almond cake would also be delicious!
- Serve with fresh fruit. You can’t go wrong with serving your almond cake with fresh berries and a side of whipped cream!
how to store semolina almond cake
Make sure to let the cake cool completely before you transfer it to a covered container. It will keep at room temperature for up three days.
how long will almond cake last in the fridge?
You can extend the shelf life of this cake by up to 2 days by storing it in the fridge.
can i freeze almond cake?
Yes! This is a great cake to freeze. Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap followed by aluminum foil to keep it as moist as possible.
Frequently asked questions
Sure! If you want to use white flour instead of almond, you can. Just replace it with a 1:1 ratio. Keep in mind the texture will look a little differently.
No. If you don’t want to or can’t find semolina flour, you can omit it and just replace it with more almond flour at a 1:1 ratio. The semolina really adds a nice texture and another layer of complexity to this cake, so if you can keep it, I would.
The toothpick method works great with this cake. Just insert a clean toothpick in the center of the cake, and if it pulls out clean with just a couple crumbs, your cake is done.
This semolina almond cake is a delicious and easy dessert to make. It can be customized with different fruits or frostings, and is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party!
More cake recipes:
If you try this feel good Almond Cake recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
- 1 ½ cups almond flour
- ¾ cup coarse semolina flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the almond flour, semolina flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and 1 cup of granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, milk and almond extract, then fold in the flour mixture just until combined.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared cake pan, smoothing with a spatula to even out. Sprinkle the slivered almonds and remaining tablespoon granulated sugar over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and firm in the center, and a cake tester comes out clean.
- Let cool completely in the pan before slicing and serving.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
Hi! Could there be a sugar substitute?
Hi Majda, great question. I have not made this recipe with anything other than granulated sugar. You can try a substitute like granulated monk fruit or stevia, but I am not sure how it will turn out.
Probably one of the best cakes I have made recently! Thank you!
That’s amazing! You’re welcome!!
Hello!! As usual, amazing recipe!! I unfortunately didn’t have almond flour so I used almond powder instead but it was so delicious that the cake didn’t make it through the night 😅
Thank you so much! I’m so glad it worked out that way. I can’t blame you!
Hi! Any egg substitute you can recommend for this delish looking cake?
I usually use a flax egg instead of an egg in recipes, but unfortunately I have yet to try that in this recipe!
See All Comments