This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
This Chicken Teriyaki Bowl is a wonderful balanced weeknight meal that’s filling, nourishing and so tasty! Serve it with your favorite vegetable over brown rice or cauliflower rice for a hearty power bowl.
Ingredients & substitutions
- Chicken: Boneless skinless chicken breast is diced and browned before being tossed in the teriyaki sauce. You can also cook the chicken whole and then cut it up.
- Marinade: The teriyaki marinade is made from soy sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, cornstarch, and sriracha.
- Broccoli: Broccoli is steamed before being added to the bowl. You can add any vegetables you like, like bell peppers or carrots.
- Brown rice: We like these bowls with brown rice for some added healthy whole grains, but you can serve the chicken with white rice, cauliflower rice, or even quinoa.
- Sesame seeds: This is for serving. You can use raw or toasted sesame seeds.
How to make chicken teriyaki
- Brown the chicken breasts – cubed or breast.
- Mix together the ingredients for the sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken.
- Cook until the sauce has thickened. Serve in bowls over rice and with steamed broccoli.
Tips for making chicken teriyaki
- Add the chicken to a hot skillet. The chicken breasts should be at room temperature when you add them to the skillet. Heat the oil before adding the chicken breasts to the pan so that they cook through evenly.
- Don’t season the chicken breast before cooking. Usually we would season the chicken before cooking it, but the soy sauce is salty already, so you don’t need to add extra.
- Make it gluten-free. Soy sauce contains gluten, but if you have an intolerance, simply swap this for Tamari or coconut aminos.
- Make it more or less spicy. The teriyaki sauce contains sriracha, so it has some heat to it, though not overpowering. If you are particularly sensitive to heat, you can omit this, or add more if you like things extra hot.
Frequently Asked Questions
We prefer to make this with breasts, but thighs can be easily used instead. The recipe remains the same, but thighs will took slightly longer to cook through. Use an instant read thermometer to check that they are cooked through, it should register at 165F.
These chicken teriyaki bowls are best served as soon as they are made, but any leftovers will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days. It’s best to store the chicken and rice separately to reheat.
You can easily make these teriyaki bowls with other proteins, like beef, salmon or extra firm tofu for a vegan option.
If you’re craving takeout, this easy homemade version will satisfy those cravings. The marinade creates a sweet and spicy sauce that is so satisfying. It’s such a fun power bowl recipe full of protein, grains and vegetables – you’ll want to lick the bowl clean!
For more Asian inspired recipes
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Chicken Teriyaki Bowl recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Chicken Teriyaki Bowl
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons water divided
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 fresh ginger 1-inch knob, grated
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- Brown rice for serving
- Thinly sliced scallions for serving
- Toasted sesame seeds for serving
- Make the sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk soy sauce, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons water, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic, cornstarch, and sriracha.
- Add broccoli to a medium, microwave safe bowl and add remaining water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high until lightly steamed, 2 minutes. Carefully remove plastic.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until browned on all sides and cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F, tossing frequently, 7-8 minutes total. Add sauce and cook until reduced and thickened, 2 minutes.
- Divide rice between four bowls, then divide chicken and broccoli between bowls. Top with scallions and sesame seeds and serve immediately.