This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Follow these directions to cook frozen fish in your Instant Pot. You can cook fish directly from frozen. No defrosting required. This method takes frozen fish fillets from the freezer to the table in less than 20 minutes. Try it!
- Fish: This recipe works well for cod, salmon, mahi mahi tuna or any other fish fillet you’re using.
- Salt & pepper: To season the fish, in addition to any other seasoning you might like.
- Water: This is essential to pressurize the Instant Pot for cooking the frozen fish.
How to cook frozen fish in instant pot
- Pour the water into the Instant Pot. Add the trivet and place the frozen fish directly on the trivet. Season and press manual pressure to get it started.
- When the cook time is up, carefully do a quick release and remove the lid
- Carefully remove the trivet from the pot and throw away any cooking liquid and grease. Now you’re ready to use the cooked fish in a recipe!
Tips for cooking in instant pot
- Do a quick release, not a natural release. This helps to immediately stop cooking the fish so you don’t get overcooked fillets.
- Don’t be tempted to overcook the fish. Set for minimum time and check.
- Experiment with substituting a broth for the water. Fish broth, light tomato broth or chicken flavor can add a lot of flavor. Adjust seasonings accordingly. Or try coconut milk and some curry powder for a super fast fish curry.
- Amp up the flavor with garlic cloves, fresh herbs, onions or shallots. You can add it right on the fish or into the water or broth.
Frequently asked questions
Overcooked fish is dry fish. The FDA says to cook until “opaque” in the center or 145°F, but many including the National Fisheries Institute recommend stopping cooking at a lower temp. No thermometer? Slide a knife through the fillet. It should glide through.
Yes. Try checking at one minute.
Absolutely! Defrosting in a slower way gives bacteria a chance to build up in your food. Quick cooking is a safe method.
This recipe was made in the 6-quart pot. If using a different pot, adjust your water or liquid to the minimum amount recommended for that vessel.
It’s so easy to cook fish from frozen using an Instant Pot. You can press a button, get the rest of your meal ready and you’ll find the fish cooked to perfection in no time! Be sure to also check out the tutorial for how to cook frozen chicken in an instant pot!
More instant pot recipes:
- Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Chickpeas
- Instant Pot Chicken Stock
- Instant Pot Broccoli Soup
If you’ve found this tutorial for How to Cook Frozen Fish helpful or if you’ve tried any recipe on FeelGoodFoodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of trying out this tutorial and we would love to hear about your experience. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
How to Cook Frozen Fish in Instant Pot
- 1-1 ½ pounds cod filet each ½ in thick (4 pieces)
- 1 cup water
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Pour the water into the Instant Pot. Add the trivet and place the frozen fish directly on the trivet. Season with salt, pepper and any other seasoning you’d like.
- Place the lid on and move the valve to sealing. Press manual pressure and set the timer to 2 minutes high pressure. You’ll notice the Instant Pot will start to come to pressure first and then the timer will begin. It can take 8-10 minutes to come to pressure.
- When the cook time is up, carefully do a quick release; then open and remove the lid. Check the internal temperature of the fish to make sure it’s 140°F or higher. If it’s not, seal again and cook for an additional 30 seconds.
- Carefully remove the trivet from the pot and discard any cooking liquid and grease. Use the cooked fish as desired in a recipe.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.
This is how I found you can cook fish from frozen in 2 minutes. I had no idea. I did put a small cake pan on the trivet so that I could lay the fish down in a bit of cooking sherry. It came out moist. Whenever I used to broil fish with wine sprinkled over it, it still came out so dry! I was a sad pescetarian. This is something I’ll keep doing and in the hot summer months, I’ll appreciate not having to turn on the oven.
So glad you enjoyed the fish!
two minutes only? others seem to say longer like 8 or 9 even
Recipes will vary depending on the settings of the Instant Pot for sure.
what is the cook time for this and you cook on high? I am new to using the insta pot
Press manual pressure and set the timer to 2 minutes high pressure! The full instructions can be found in the recipe card at the bottom of the page. Hope this helps!
really fantastic post. Today you discuss how can cook frozen fish. Really best post. Thanks for your sharing post
Thank you so much! Glad you found it useful!