This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
If your mornings are crazy busy, and breakfast is often an afterthought, or, entirely missed, this avocado and egg breakfast is the perfect meal prep solution. Pack in lunchboxes for kids’ or to eat at your desk, they are also perfect for those who do shift work. This healthy meal prep idea is a total time saver!
Ingredients & substitutions
- Eggs: The eggs are hard boiled ahead of time and added to lunch boxes for a great source of protein and vitamins.
- Avocado: Some sliced avocado is a great source of healthy fats, and avocado for breakfast is never a bad idea. Use a ripe, but firm avocado for the best results.
- Toast: Use whole wheat bread for some added whole grains, or you can use any bread you like for some carbs for energy. Use a gluten-free bread if you have a wheat intolerance.
- Tomatoes: Get a boost of vitamins and minerals at the start of your day by including some cherry tomatoes. You can include other fruits or veggies if you like.
How to boil eggs for meal prep
- Place the eggs in cold water and bring to a boil. Cover and take off the heat and allow to cook until hard boiled.
- Place the cooked eggs in iced water to cool quickly.
- Remove from the ice bath, peel and slice in half.
Tips for meal prepping avocado & Eggs
- Add lemon juice to the avocado. The sliced avocado will start to oxidize and turn brown within a few hours of slicing. To slow down the process, consider slicing as late as possible or adding lemon juice on top.
- Don’t soft boil the eggs. If you generally like the eggs runny, it may not be the best for this meal prep idea since they will likely run over the toast and avocados. You could consider leaving them uncut if you prefer runny yolks.
- Make sure that your eggs are fresh before hard boiling them. Place them into a large bowl of water to test them. Fresh eggs will sink to the bottom and you should discard any that float to the top.
- Place the eggs in cold water and bring them up to a boil. If you place the eggs directly into boiling water, they are more likely to crack. Starting them in cold water will ensure that they cook evenly through.
Frequently asked questions
Once you have boiled and peeled your eggs, store them in an airtight container in the fridge. They will keep well for up to 7 days, making them perfect for your weekly breakfast meal prep.
If you have a plant based diet, then you can easily swap the eggs to make a vegan breakfast. You can use ready to eat or diced extra firm tofu, or chickpeas or white beans work great too. The eggs provide protein, so swap them for a plant based protein for a healthy breakfast.
The breakfast boxes are a great well balanced way to start the day. You can easily mix up the veggies, throw in some salsa, or try swapping for some fresh fruit instead.
These avocado and egg breakfast boxes are a great way to start the day and will leave you feeling satisfied and energized. They are a great option for busy mornings, and a very welcome addition if you are travelling, or have to be at your desk early.
More meal prep recipes:
If you try this healthy-ish feel good Avocado and Egg Breakfast Meal Prep recipe or any other recipe on Feel Good Foodie, then don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave a comment below! It helps others who are thinking of making the recipe. We would love to hear about your experience making it. And if you snapped some shots, share it on Instagram so we can repost on Stories!
Avocado and Egg Breakfast Meal Prep
- 6 eggs
- 1 avocado
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 6 sliced whole wheat bread cut diagonally
- Place the eggs in a saucepan. Pour enough cool water over the eggs until fully submerged.
- Bring the water to a rolling boil uncovered. Turn off the heat, cover the pan and allow the eggs to cook according to the desired doneness: 7 to 12 minutes for medium to hard boiled.
- Prepare a bowl with ice and water. When the eggs reach the desired cooking time, transfer the cooked eggs with a slotted spoon to the ice water to cool completely before peeling.
- Tap the eggs against a flat surface, roll and then peel the shell. Rinse the eggs under cold water if you need to remove any leftover pieces of the shell.
- Slice the eggs in half lengthwise and divide between the meal prep containers. Divide the avocado, grape tomatoes and toast evenly.
Nutrition information provided is an estimate. It will vary based on cooking method and specific ingredients used.