Forget boxed pop tarts, make your own version with this Homemade Pop Tarts recipe - it has a flaky golden pastry crust and a fruity heart-shaped jam filling
Valentine’s Day is less than a week away! I know it’s a total made-up holiday but I’m a food blogger and on this side of the internet world, we love to celebrate anything and everything, especially if it includes food. And is there a better way to celebrate Valentine’s Day that with heart-shaped food, especially homemade pop tarts?!
Man, I remember last year the temperature in Massachusetts was literally 1 (ONE!) degree and my husband had some fancy reservations at a restaurant (which required leaving our cozy home, getting all dressed up and braving that lonely 1 degree temperature). And I told my husband, “please we don’t need to go out, I know you love me, it’s enough hahaha!” He still made me go out! If it’s too cold this year where you are, you can totally celebrate with food at home. Try making a sweet breakfast for your loved one or for your kids with these adorable and easy homemade pop tarts.
How to Make Homemade Pop Tarts
These homemade pop tarts are a fool-proof recipe that is fun to make, especially if you’re making them with kids. They are hard to mess up! You can use store-bought refrigerated pie dough and each one will give you about 6 pop tart rectangles. Then you spread the cream cheese filling, some jam and a heart-shaped strawberry like this:
Add another cut-layer of the pie crust (with a cute strawberry cut-out if you wish) on top to seal it, brush egg wash around it and use a fork to crimp the edges and secure the filling inside.
They only need about 12 minutes in the oven until they’re perfectly golden, and the crust is a flaky delicious hot mess!
These are not on the diet track of dessert recipes, but when it comes to dessert, I say keep it simple with wholesome ingredients that are rich and fulfilling to make your heart and tummy happy! And these homemade pop tarts deliver on those promises!
I hope you love this healthy-ish feelgood Homemade Pop Tarts recipe. If you make it, please leave me a comment telling me how you like it, or use hashtag #feelgoodfoodie on Instagram so I can see your recreations.
If you’re looking for other easy similar dessert, check out these sweet ones:
- Rose Apple Pie – omg, so cute and easy to make!
- Mini Pumpkin Pies – two bites each
- Mixed Berry Cobbler – easiest thing ever 🙂
Homemade Pop Tarts
- 2 whole refrigerated pre-made pie crusts
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp water
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup strawberry jam
- 12 slices heart-shaped strawberries
- Cane sugar for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, create the egg wash by whisking together 1 egg yolk with 1 teaspoon of water; set aside.
- In a larger bowl, make the cream cheese filling by whisking together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla extract; set aside.
- Roll out the pie crust to about 1/8 or 1/16 inch thickness and cut them into 12 rectangles the size of poptarts - 2.5 inches x 3.5 inches.
- Place 6 of the rectangles on the parchment paper, spread a heaping teaspoon of the cream cheese filling in the center of each, leave space around the edges.
- Then add another heaping teaspoon of strawberry jam to each, then place a strawberry heart on top in the middle.
- With the remaining 6 rectangles, cut out a heart in the center the same size as the strawberry hearts. Add on top of the other rectangles, lining up the strawberry hearts in the center.
- Seal the edges with the tips of a fork and brush with the egg wash mixture, then sprinkle with cane sugar.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes and then enjoy!