Peas and Carrots Stew
If you're looking for new vegetable beef stews to try, this Lebanese inspired Peas and Carrots Stew (we call them yakhneh) is hearty, nutritious and utterly comforting.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 pound chuck beef trimmed and cut into inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 teaspoon 7 Spice
- 1 small onion chopped (optional)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 tomatoes diced
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups frozen peas
- 1 cup frozen carrots or 1-2 carrot sticks, chopped
In a heavy bottomed saute pan over medium-high heat, heat the olive oil, then add the beef, season with 7 Spice, salt and pepper. Sear for 5-7 minutes until the meat is browned on the outside. Remove and set aside, keep any oil and juices in the pan.
In the same pot, add the onions, garlic and cilantro cook for about 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
Add the tomato sauce and deglaze the pot. Then add fresh tomatoes and 4 cups of boiling water to the pot and bring to a boil. Return the cooked beef to the pot along with peas and carrots. Lower heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes until sauce thickens.
Serve over traditional Arabic rice pilaf and sprinkle fresh cilantro for garnish.
Storage: Keep any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge and they will keep for around 4 days. You can also freeze the stew and it will keep for up to 3 months.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
- Instead of tomato sauce, you can use canned diced tomatoes or 6 ounces of tomato paste with 2 cups of water.
- Instead of 7 Spice, you can substitute any mix of paprika, cumin, coriander, ground cloves, nutmeg, cardamom and cinnamon
- To make it vegan, just leave the beef out. You can add other vegetables like potatoes, cauliflower, eggplant or zucchini.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 91mg | Potassium: 681mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 4785IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 3mg