Easy Ravioli Soup
Very similar to Lasagna Soup, this kid friendly Easy Ravioli Soup is a meat lover's hearty comforting meal-in-a-bowl recipe that's ready in about 30 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 5 cups water
- 8 ounces mini Ravioli
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Fresh basil for serving for serving
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the ground beef with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until browned, breaking it up as it cooks with a wooden spoon for 4-5 minutes
Add the chopped onions and garlic, and cook for 2-3 minutes until the onions soften and become fragrant.
Add the fresh basil, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and water and mix to combine. Bring to a boil. Then. reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add the ravioli and cook for 5-8 minutes, until the past is tender. Add more water if the pasta absorbs too much of the liquid.
Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh basil, if desired.
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. They will last about 3-4 days in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, just thaw in the fridge before reheating on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
- Instead of ground beef, you can use ground turkey or ground chicken.
- To make it vegetarian, substitute the ground beef for chopped mushrooms, eggplant or zucchini.
- If you don't have fresh tomatoes, you can use canned tomatoes. I recommend skipping the tomato paste then, and instead using one 28 ounce can of crushed or diced tomatoes in the place of the tomatoes and tomato paste.
- If you don't have fresh basil, you can substitute other fresh herbs like oregano, parsley or thyme. Or you can use 1 teaspoon of dried herbs.
- To make it gluten-free, you can use gluten-free ravioli or any other gluten-free pasta of your choice.
Calories: 290kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 67mg | Sodium: 521mg | Potassium: 673mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 809IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 7mg