Broccoli Mac and Cheese
This healthier version of a family favorite is hearty and so comforting. Broccoli mac and cheese is quick and easy to make for weeknight meal
Servings 4 servings
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded gruyere cheese
- 3 cups broccoli florets
In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta al dente according to package instructions. Steam the broccoli on top of the pasta pot for 1-2 minutes, if possible. Drain the pasta well and blanch the broccoli.
In another large saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the butter, then add the flour to make the roux. Whisk the flour and butter until they are combined and golden, about 2 minutes.
Gradually whisk in the milk. Add the Dijon mustard and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer, occasionally whisking until sauce is thickened, about 5-7 minutes.
Stir in the cheese, then fold in the pasta and broccoli. Serve immediately
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. They will last about 4-5 days in the fridge.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
Nutritional Data: The information below is an automated estimate and could vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used.
- Use other types of shredded cheeses if you'd prefer.
- Instead of milk, you can use dairy-free milk like unsweetened almond milk.
- Instead of butter, you can use olive oil
- To make it gluten-free, you can use almond flour or a GF 1:1 mix. Here's an excellent post on how to make gluten-free roux. You can also make this with gluten-free pasta.
Calories: 607kcal | Carbohydrates: 56g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 439mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1316IU | Vitamin C: 61mg | Calcium: 723mg | Iron: 2mg