Pecan date bars are made with a gluten-free buttery oat crumb mixture and filled with naturally sweet dates and nuts; they're easy to make and so delicious!
Servings 16 bars
For the Filling
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pitted dates
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup pecans finely chopped
For the Base
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter melted
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper hanging wider than the pan so it hangs from the sides. Grease the parchment paper with nonstick cooking spray.
Bring 1 1/2 cups water to boil in medium saucepan. Add dates; simmer until very soft and thick, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Cool to room temperature. Stir in lemon juice and pecans.
Combine flour, oats, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in large bowl; stir to blend. Add butter. Using fingertips, rub in until moist clumps form. Press half of oat mixture evenly and firmly over bottom of prepared pan. Spread date mixture evenly on top of the base crust. Sprinkle with remaining oat mixture; press gently to adhere.
Bake until the top it set and the bars are golden brown at edges, about 40 minutes. Cool completely in pan on rack (about one hour). Cut into 16 bars and serve.
Storage: Store the remaining pecan date bars in an airtight container. They will last up to 7 days in the fridge or in the freezer for 3 months.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
- To make them vegan, you can use melted coconut oil or vegan butter (which is what I would recommend)
- To make them refined sugar free, substitute the 2/3 cup brown sugar for 1/4 cup maple syrup.
- Instead of oat flour, you can use almond flour or even regular all-purpose flour.
- Instead of pecans, you can use any other finely chopped nuts or other add-ins of your choice.
Calories: 210kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 15mg | Sodium: 164mg | Potassium: 181mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 198IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 1mg