West African Peanut Soup
This West African peanut soup recipe is made with simple ingredients like peanut butter and tomato paste, but has a unique delicious flavor!
Servings 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 large onions finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger optional
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 sweet potato chopped
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup baby spinach optional
- 8 oz shredded chicken optional
Heat the oil in a large, heavy pot. Add onions and ginger, and cook for 5-10 minutes until the onions are very soft and translucent, but not browned.
Add tomato paste and mix with the onions until they are well coated. Add the sweet potatoes to the pot, season with salt and cayenne pepper, and mix with the onion and tomato paste mixture.
Pour the vegetable broth or water into the pot and bring mixture to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cover for 20 minutes, until the sweet potatoes are cooked. Stir in the peanut butter until it’s well blended with the mixture. Add spinach and/or chicken, if desired, and stir to combine.
Serve over white rice with crushed peanuts, if desired.
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. It will last about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Freezing Instructions: You can also freeze peanut soup in the freezer for up to 3 months by using a sealable container or freezer bag. To re-heat, thaw in the fridge overnight and then microwave when ready to eat.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
* Please note the nutrition label does not include the rice or the crushed peanuts on top.
- If you don't have fresh ginger, substitute 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger for 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Instead of sweet potatoes, you can use yams or white potatoes
- You can substitute the spinach for any other hearty greens like kale, mustard greens or collard greens, or leave them out all together.
- To make it vegan, just leave the chicken out. You can add tofu, more potatoes or leave as is without the chicken.
Calories: 385kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 26g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 755mg | Potassium: 670mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 3915IU | Vitamin C: 8.2mg | Calcium: 55mg | Iron: 2mg