A quick and easy summer recipe, this Mediterranean Couscous dish is made with shrimp, tomatoes, feta, olives and capers - it's fresh, healthy & irresistible
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes 10 ounces, halved
- 1/3 cup kalamata olives sliced pitted
- ¼ cup feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tablespoon capers drained
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 pound extra large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth low sodium
- 1 ½ cups pearl couscous
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped for garnish
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest grated for garnish
In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, olives, feta and capers. Season with the pepper.
Sprinkle the salt over the shrimp. Heat a large deep skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the oil, then the shrimp, and cook until opaque, 2 ½ minutes per side, stirring in the garlic for the last minute. Transfer to the bowl of the tomato mixture.
Add the broth to the skillet, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Add the couscous, stir, cover and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until all the liquid is absorbed, 10-12 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add to the bowl of the shrimp and tomato mixture. Add the lemon juice and toss well.
Divide among 4 bowls, garnish with parsley and lemon zest, and serve.
Recipe: This recipe is from the Skinnytaste One and Done cookbook
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. They will last about 3-4 days in the fridge. You can heat it up or serve it cold. I ate my leftovers cold and I added a touch of olive oil to it since the couscous tends to dry up the next day.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
- Instead of couscous, you can use quinoa or orzo pasta
- You can replace the feta cheese with another cheese. Goat cheese works really well with this recipe.
- If you're not a fan of one of the vegetables like tomatoes, olive or capers, you can leave them out or replace them with other favorites.
Serving: 1bowl | Calories: 428kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 294mg | Sodium: 1847mg | Potassium: 379mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 865IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 247mg | Iron: 3.9mg