Easy Apple Crisp
For a quick and cozy treat, try this easy Apple Crisp recipe - the perfect fall dessert made with juicy apples, cinnamon and an oat topping!
Servings 6 servings
- 6 apples peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ cup old fashioned oats
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped pecans
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter diced cold
- For Serving
- Vanilla ice cream
Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease an 8-inch square baking dish or 7-inch x 11-inch baking dish.
Place the apples into the greased baking dish; add the sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon on top, stir and set aside.
In a small bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon and salt. Cut in butter using a fork or your hands until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crisp topping mixture over the apple mixture.
Bake until the crisp topping is golden brown and the filling is bubbly, about 35-40 minutes. Allow to cool for a few minutes. Serve warm with a scoop of ice cream, if desired.
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. They will last about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Freezer Instructions: After baking the apple crisp, allow it to cool completely, then cover it with two layers of aluminum foil. You can freeze it for up to 3 months. When ready to bake, thaw it overnight in the fridge and warm it at 375°F oven for 15-20 minutes or until heated through.
Make Ahead: You can make the topping ahead of time but add the butter right before baking it for best results.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some substitutes that will work well:
- For the flour, you can use almond flour, gluten-free flour or even all purpose flour. I love using oat flour to keep it gluten-free and light.
- For the butter, you can use a vegan butter stick or coconut oil
- For the pecans, you can leave those out completely as I've done in the images or use walnuts or almonds
Calories: 469kcal | Carbohydrates: 68g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 107mg | Potassium: 316mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 577IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 2mg