Sweet Potato Waffles
These sweet potato waffles are a simple low-carb breakfast idea. They are a great way to use up leftover sweet potatoes, and each waffle is only 80 calories
Servings 4 servings
- 1 large sweet potato cooked (about 3/4 cup mashed)
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Cooking spray
Set waffle iron to preheat.
Combine cooked sweet potato, and oats in a blender. Blend until well combined.
Pour egg and milk into the blender with the sweet potato and oat base. Blend until well combined, and add the rest of ingredients. Blend until fully pureed.
Spray waffle iron with cooking spray. Pour 1/3 cup batter into waffle iron. Cook for 4-7 minutes. Let waffles cool on a baking rack.
Serve with whipped cream, maple syrup and pecans, if desired
Recipe: This recipe was adapted from Cooking Light
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. They will last about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Make Ahead Tips: You can make the batter up to 2 days in advance and have it ready to go to make waffles.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
- Any variety milk works well in this recipe. Feel free to keep it dairy-free with almond milk or coconut milk or use regular milk if you prefer.
Equipment: I use my Cuisinart 5-in-1 Griddler. It's great and has so many uses!
Nutrition: Please note that the nutrition label provided is an estimate only. It will vary based on the specific ingredients used. The serving size is approximately two waffles.
- To make it gluten-free, replace the all purpose or whole wheat flour with 2 cups of gluten-free oats .
- To make it keto-friendly, substitute the flour and oats for almond flour.
- To use what you have on-hand, you can actually make these using leftover sweet potato casserole or any other type of sweet potatoes you have. They will also work well with pumpkin puree!
Calories: 161kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 237mg | Potassium: 319mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 4730IU | Vitamin C: 0.7mg | Calcium: 124mg | Iron: 1.8mg