Chicken Shawarma Pita Pizza
This Lebanese style chicken shawarma pita pizza is made on a grilled pita bread and topped with juicy, tender, well-seasoned chicken, veges & tahini sauce.
Servings 6 servings
For the Chicken
- 6 4 oz pieces boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon shawarma seasoning see notes
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- Juice of 1 lemon
For the Tahini Sauce
- 1/2 cup Tahini paste
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 6 Large pita breads
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Roma tomatoes sliced
- Pickled banana peppers sliced
- Roasted red peppers diced
- Red onion sliced
- Flat leaf parsley roughly chopped
To make the marinade, whisk the olive oil, shawarma seasoning, garlic and lemon juice until well combined.
Coat the chicken with the marinade and let it sit in the fridge for at least 20 minutes, preferably a few hours. Heat a grill or griddle pan over medium heat, and grill the chicken until well cooked and browned, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from the heat and slice.
To make the tahini sauce, place all the ingredients together in a food processor and blend until well combined. You can also do this by whisk or with a fork, but it may take more time that way.
Divide the mozzarella cheese among 6 pitas and lightly toast the pita in a toaster oven, on the grill or in the oven until the cheese melts, about 2-3 minutes
Top the pita with the sliced chicken, tomatoes, banana peppers, red peppers, red onions and parsley. Drizzle the tahini sauce on top. Cut and enjoy!
- Storage: It’s best to assemble the pita pizzas right before eating, but if there are any leftover pita pizzas, just reheat in a toaster oven to ensure a crispy crust on the pita. Store any leftover cooked chicken in an airtight container for 3 days.
- Sourcing: You can find shawarma seasoning at Middle Eastern markets and natural-foods stores, often located with other Middle Eastern ingredients. If you can’t find it, you can mix the following spices:
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp AllSpice
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Serving: 1g | Calories: 492kcal | Carbohydrates: 36g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 635mg | Potassium: 355mg | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 2.1mg | Calcium: 224mg | Iron: 2mg