Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan or coat with nonstick spray. Set aside.
Whisk the flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda in a large bowl. Beat the eggs, sugar, pumpkin, oil and applesauce in another large bowl.
Pour the dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake for 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Loosely cover the bread with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to prevent the top and sides from getting too brown. Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool completely in the pan set on a wire rack.
Recipe: Adapted from Taste of Home with modifications to swap some oil for applesauce.
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Freezing Instructions: Cool the pumpkin bread completely. Then tightly wrap the entire loaf or the slices in plastic wrap or aluminum foil. Then place the wrapped loaf or slices in a freezer-friendly storage bag or airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge or at room temperature.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
Nutritional Data: The information below is an automated estimate and could vary based on cooking methods and ingredients used.
- You can substitute whole wheat flour for the all purpose flour, but the texture will not be as moist.
- To make this gluten-free, use an all-purpose gluten-free flour mix, but again the texture will not be as moist. Do not substitute only almond flour or only coconut flour though.
- You can substitute the sugar for coconut sugar
- Substitute the grapeseed oil for any other neutral oil or for applesauce or more pureed pumpkin.
- You can substitute homemade pumpkin puree but I think the taste is better with canned pumpkin.
Calories: 287kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 155mg | Potassium: 135mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 23g | Vitamin A: 873IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 17mg | Iron: 2mg