Broccoli & Cheese Hand Pies
These broccoli & cheese hand pies are similar to savory turnovers featuring a golden crunchy crust and bursting with cheesy flavor - easy appetizer recipe
Servings 12 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 head broccoli grated
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 sheets ready-made pie dough
- Egg wash
Preheat oven to 375 °F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet, then sauté the onions for 5 minutes until they soften. Stir in the garlic and broccoli and cook for 2-3 more minutes, until the broccoli is crisp-tender.
Remove from heat, then stir in cheddar cheese and sour cream, and mix until well blended; set aside.
Cut out 3-4” rounds from the ready-made pie dough.
Place about 1 tablespoon of the broccoli and cheese mixture in the middle if each round, being careful not to overfill them. Fold the pie dough over to make a semi-circle and press the edges together to seal. You can also use a fork to crimp the edges.
Brush the rounds with egg wash. Bake for 20-22 minutes until crispy and golden. This will make about 24.
Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container. They will last about 3-4 days in the fridge.
Make Ahead Tips: You can make the mixture up to 2 days in advance and then stuff the hand pies with the broccoli and cheese mixture when ready.
You can also assemble them completely, brush them with the egg wash, then freeze on a baking sheet. When frozen, store in a ziplock bag or airtight container. When you're ready to bake them, add 10 minutes to the baking time.
Substitutes: For best results, follow the recipe as is. However here are some common substitutes that would work well in this recipe.
Equipment: I used the Kitchen Aid food processor to grate the broccoli. You can use any other food processor you have or simple use a grater or knife.
Serving Size: Each serving is for two.
- Instead of pie dough, you can use puff pastry. Watch the baking time as it may vary. You want to make sure it's puffed and golden as the signal that they're ready.
- You can leave out the cheese and sour cream, but they help to bind the mixture together. You can also use vegan substitutes for the dairy.
- If you prefer to make this egg free, you can spray some oil on top of the hand pies before baking them in the oven. Alternatively, brushing them with almond milk works as well.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 12mg | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 216mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 440IU | Vitamin C: 46mg | Calcium: 104mg | Iron: 1.2mg