Rich and chocolatey Nutella banana swirl muffins have all the nice ingredients with a naughty swirl of Nutella baked right into the batter. They’re my moist must-have muffins! I like alliterations…can you tell?
I have a love/hate relationship with Nutella. I’m obsessed with the hazelnut and chocolate combo and yet disappointed by the unhealthy ingredients on that particular label. Yet, all the healthier subs just don’t seem to cut if for some reason because the consistency is just off, or the taste is just not reminiscent of my childhood rewarded dessert nights. It’s just not the same. So, occasionally, I indulge and buy a jar of this hazelnut chocolatey goodness and just give in to the temptation. Can ya blame me?
Of course, you can totes substitute the Nutella for another hazelnut chocolate spread or even peanut butter would work really well. And for the most part, the rest of the ingredients are just simple clean goodness that carry far less regret. I love making this recipe when I have guests sleeping over, because they are warm and comforting in the morning and make me look extra hospitable (cheesy smile emoticon).
[Adapted from thenovicechefblog.com]
Try it, Love it, Share it!
Nutella Banana Swirl Muffins
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 over-ripe bananas mashed
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup cane sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350 F degrees and line muffin tin with muffin cups.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt until well combined
- In a separate large bowl, whisk together banana, egg, sugar and vanilla extract. Slowly whisk in the flour mixture, until there are no lumps
- Fill muffins lined with paper 3/4 full. Top each muffin with about 1 teaspoon of Nutella and use a toothpick to swirl it into the batter.
- Bake muffins for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.