Modern Italian Chicken Chili BakeJump To Recipe
- Serves: 6
This Modern Italian Chicken Chili Bake is an updated Vintage Ragu recipe that combines Mexican and Italian ingredients in a cheesy, hearty casserole dish.
- Author: Yumna Jawad
Modern Italian Chicken Chili Bake
I recently worked with RAGÚ on a sponsored Instagram post to celebrate the brand turning 80 years old! They celebrated by asking food bloggers to re-make any of their classic vintage recipes and adding a modern twist to it. I scrolled through the list they offered without reading recipes, and thought hmmm…Modern Italian Chicken Chili Bake sounds amazing!
When I finally read the recipe to start re-creating it with a modern twist, I realized it was basically a Mexican lasagna…something I’ve never even heard of! So I got started on my cooking adventure to make my very own Modern Italian Chicken Chili Bake!
Here’s everything I used:
And then I topped it off with the sauce to bring it all together!
I admit that I was skeptical of how this would taste when combined together, but I was SO satisfied with the results.
It’s basically shredded juicy chicken, kidney beans, corn, onions and green pepper with fresh and flavorful seasoning like coriander and cumin all in between layers of cheesy soft tortillas.
Topping it off with sour cream, fresh cilantro and AVOCADOS when it comes out of the oven brings back that freshness and just makes the dish come alive. This dish is cheesy, hearty and will easily become a family-favorite in your house! Plus if it’s a reason to eat avocados…wink wink.
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1lb skinless/boneless chicken breast, cooked/shredded
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, chopped
- ½ cup corn
- 1 15oz can kidney beans, rinsed/drained
- ½ jar Ragu Homestyle Traditional Pasta Sauce (3.5oz)
- 6 whole wheat tortillas, cut in half
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- For serving: sour cream, diced avocados, sliced jalapenos and fresh cilantro
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil, and add the shredded chicken to the skillet. Season with chili powder, cumin, coriander, garlic powder and salt/pepper to taste, and cook for 2-3 minutes until seasoning is well blended.
- Add the onions, green pepper, corn, kidney beans and sauce and stir to combine.
- In the baking dish, layer 4 tortilla halves, making sure the straight part is along the edge of the baking dish. Add the shredded chicken mixture, then about ¼ cup cheese. Repeat a second layer of tortillas, chicken mixture and ¼ cup of cheese. Then add a third layer of tortillas and top with the remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes until cheese is bubbly.
- Serve with sour cream, avocados, jalapenos and cilantro, if you desire.