Vegetarian Eggplant Pasta Casserole
Quick. Simple. Healthy.
Isn’t that the perfect combination? I think so! Sometimes it can be hard to come up with new recipes that the whole fam will love night after night. But casserole — you can always count on it. Casserole is a downhome favorite and the Vegetarian Eggplant Pasta Casserole gives new breath to an age old dish.
Even the I-want-meat-all-the-time member of your family will drool over how good the savory casserole looks and tastes. Bubbly cheese, bright eggplant, the smell of garlic and marinara wafting through the air. It’s comfort food sans guilt.
There is a lot of talk out in the health food atmosphere about antioxidants, and let me tell you that eggplant is one of those talked about veggies and for good reason. The skin contains nasunin which is a super potent antioxidant that can repair damaged cells in your body. So, eat up!
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled, cut into ½-in cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 lb brown rice pasta (or pasta of choice)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ cup marinara sauce of your choice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ½ cup shredded Mozzarella, divided
- 1 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 450 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the eggplant cubes on the parchment paper, drizzle the olive oil and sprinkle garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Toss the eggplant around and bake for 15 minutes unti golden.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions and transfer to an oven-safe baking dish.
- Add the cooked eggplant, marinara sauce, basil, and half the mozarella to the cooked pasta and toss gently to combine everything.
- Top the dish with the remaining mozarella cheese and grated Parmesan cheese.
- Lower the oven temperature to 425F and bake the pasta for 10-15 minutes, until golden and bubbly.