Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes
Can I just say that I truly appreciate all the wonderful ways we can eat potatoes? And here’s a relatively new way that I finally got around to trying…it’s not mashed potatoes, it’s smashed potatoes! And smashing is half the fun of this recipe! The other half is eating the final product, of course. These Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes are soft on the inside and crispy on the outside with a burst of rosemary garlicky (thank God that’s a word!!) flavor. The cool thing about it is you just need to worry about boiling the potatoes until they are tender and then baking until they’re crispy. Every other detail of this recipe can be ignored, altered or enhanced to your liking. So you can really have fun with this recipe and step up your potato side-dish game like three notches easily!
We are having a turkey dinner for Christmas Eve and instead of serving mashed potatoes, we decided to make these Rosemary Garlic Smashed Potatoes. They are pretty healthy because unlike the traditional mashed potatoes I like to make for Thanksgiving, there’s no need for butter, milk or sour cream in this potato side dish. It’s a just some olive oil, garlic and herbs, which is perfect if you’re looking for a vegan variety. And I think the flavor will be really enhanced with the other turkey trimmings we’ll be making for Christmas Eve! Looking forward to having the rest of the family test these babies!
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 18 small red potatoes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1-2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large pot of boiling water, cook potatoes until fork tender, about 15-20 minutes; drain and well.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet, and arrange potatoes on the pan. Try to leave about an inch of space between potatoes, which will help with the crispy factor. Using a potato masher or fork, carefully smash the potatoes until they flatten, but still remain in one piece.
- In a small bowl, combine the olive oil, garlic and rosemary, and drizzle the mixture over the potatoes. Sprinkle with additional rosemary, if desired. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden brown