Pickle-Brined Baked Chicken Tenders
What do you do when your big jar of pickles is done? Save the pickle juice and use it to marinate chicken tenders for finger-lickin’ juicy baked chicken! We love munching on these dippable Pickle-Brined Baked Chicken Tenders for lunch and dinner. Think Chick-Fil-a but without all the grease and calories, plus you’re being resourceful! Pair the tenders up with my delicious Butternut Squash Fries and you have a healthy spin on a traditional American dish the kids are sure to love.
And if you’re not in the mood for pickle-brined chicken you still shouldn’t throw out that pickle juice — it’s a hidden health gem. Because pickle juice contains a lot of sodium and potassium it’s the perfect match for a post-workout drink. Yes, drink! Sip on some pickle juice to replenish electrolytes, get hydrated and ease runners cramping. It’s a great alternative to a sports drink chock full of calories.
This recipe has been adapted from www.skinnytaste.com
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast, cut into tenders/strips
- Pickle juice from 25 oz jar of pickles (should be about 1-2 cups)
- 1 large egg
- Salt and pepper to taste (I used ½ tsp of each)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- Olive oil cooking spray
- For best results, marinate chicken tenders in the pickle juice for about 8 hours in the fridge.
- After 8 hours, pour out the brine and use paper towels to dry out the chicken tenders completely.
- Preheat oven to 425F, and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In one medium bowl, whisk egg with salt and pepper to taste. In another medium bowl, combine breadcrumbs, panko and Italian seasoning.
- Dredge chicken in the egg wash, then into the breadcrumb mixture, and then shake off excess breadcrumbs and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat for the remaining chicken strips, making sure not to overcrowd the baking sheet.
- Generally spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray and bake for 15-18 minutes, turning at the halfway point until chicken is golden. Enjoy immediately with ketchup or other sauce of choice.