Chewy Oatmeal Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies
Tomorrow will officially be one year of starting my food blog, although as you guys know I’ve been pretty much micro blogging for 4 and half years through Instagram. But doing the actual blog is a huge commitment and requires so much more of my time, energy and creativity! That’s why I’m always so amazed when I see food bloggers carrying out their normally scheduled blog posts while writing a cookbook! Maybe one day I will have more time, energy and creativity (and probably lots more help!) to do something like this! I love supporting fellow food bloggers because I know what goes into it. One of the most respected food bloggers, Smitten Kitchen, who has been blogging for 11 years and is a New York Times best selling author, just sent me a copy of her new cookbook Smitten Kitchen Everyday – Triumphant & Unfussy New Favorites.
She had this Chewy Oatmeal Cranberry Chocolate Chip Cookies and I just HAD to re-make it!
Her version is made with raisins, but I wanted to make it more seasonally appropriate and put cranberries in there instead. The dried fruit bits give it a tangy accent that balances so well with the (abundance of) sweet chocolate chips! This is basically a combination of the classic oatmeal cookies with raisins in them (like the recipe on the back of the Quaker Oats canister) mixed with a classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. Deb says the combination of the two reminds her of a Cadbury Fruit & Nut chocolate bar – yes, totally agree!
And what I love about this recipe is that she trimmed it down so that it only makes two mega-cookies, which means you can indulge when the craving strikes and then move on with your life. Because you know you can’t just ignore that craving when it creeps up on you! Don’t do that to yourself 😉 Eat the cookie (errr mega-cookie)!!
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 3 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp heaped baking soda
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- 2 pinches of sea salt
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp cranberries or raisins
- Heat the oven to 350º F, and line a small baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, combine the butter, sugar, egg yolk, vanilla extract, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips and cranberries.
- Divide the dough into two big mounds and place on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes, until golden brown on top.
- Cool the cookies for 5 minutes before, then transfer to a nearby mouth.