Baked Steel Cut Banana Oatmeal
We can’t deny it you guys, our bodies need the carbs…those good carbs, like oatmeal! At least I know my body does! I love having a warm bowl of oatmeal in the morning and this Baked Steel Cut Banana Oatmeal is creamy, comforting and carbalicious!
Most of the time, I make oatmeal on the stovetop or in a microwave, and of course, there’s also overnight oats that don’t even require cooking. But I recently started baking my oatmeal. Yup, baking in the oven! I love the hands-off approach, which is so awesome when you have guests coming over in the morning and want to serve something piping hot without doing all that last minute cooking that breakfast usually calls for! This takes a little longer in the oven than over the stovetop or microwave, but it works so well for a big batch of oats or if you just don’t have the time to be constantly stirring oatmeal stovetop or microwaving one bowl at a time. It’s the perfect stress-free healthy hot breakfast to serve your guests or even your family. This works well for meal prepping breakfast as well because you can divide the baked oatmeal into containers and just reheat in the morning.
Whether for guests or your family, these tender tasty steel cut oats with bananas are a huge hit with everyone!
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 1.5 cups steel cut oats (do not substitute quick cooking, instant, or rolled oats)
- 3 cups almond milk (or any milk of choice)
- 3 cups water
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Coconut oil for greasing baking dish
- For serving: Sliced almonds, dark chocolate chunks, and maple syrup
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F, and grease a 9x12 baking dish with coconut oil.
- Place all the ingredients(steel cut oats, milk, water, bananas, almonds, vanilla extract, ground cinnamon and sea salt) except for the toppings in the baking dish and stir to combine.
- Place the dish in the oven and cook for 45-55 minutes until the oats are set and start to brown on top. I also like to stir everything together at the halfway mark to ensure the oats don't get overly brown, but it's not necessary.
- Enjoy warm immediately with the toppings as you desire.
- If you are re-heating the next day, add a splash of water or milk to loosen the thickened oats, and heat for 1 minute in the microwave, then add toppings and enjoy!