Baked Eggs in Spaghetti Squash Boats
This Baked Eggs in Spaghetti Squash Boats recipe is what you need to try this weekend! Eggs served in fun crevices are the latest in breakfast trends. So, I’ve fully embraced this trend and trying baked eggs inside of avocado, sweet peppers, potatoes, bread nests, and now spaghetti squash…why not?
Here are some feelgood facts about spaghetti squash.
- One cup of cooked spaghetti squash only has about 40 calories
- The fiber content of spaghetti squash is the same as that of enriched spaghetti, which is about 2g per cup.
- There are only 10g of carbs in a cup of spaghetti squash, compared to 40g in spaghetti
For anyone looking to lower calories, reduce gluten or just incorporate more vegetables in their diet, you’ve gotta be excited about those feel good facts…well as much as anyone could really get excited about squash haha! And if those health benefits don’t get you too excited, do it for the cool hip factor because you are so on to food trends that you’re now serving eggs in a whole new fabulous way. You’ll be the breakfast champion of your foodie friends for reals.
Try it, Love it, Share it!
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 4 eggs
- Red pepper, diced
- Avocado, diced
- Cilantro, chopped
- Sriracha hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out. Place cut side down on an oven-safe baking dish with enough water to cover the bottom of the dish.
- Bake the spaghetti squash for about 30 minutes, or until fork tender. When ready, remove from the oven and let cool for about 10-15 minutes.
- Increase oven temperature to 425 F. Use a fork to tease the spaghetti squash into long spaghetti-like strands, but leave the strands inside the shell.
- Season each half with salt and pepper to taste and make a well in the middle of the squash, and carefully break the eggs inside of each crevice. (NOTE: The more you sink the egg into the squash, the more fully it will bake).
- Bake for about 20 minutes until the egg white set. When ready, garnish with red pepper, avocado, cilantro and hot sauce and enjoy hot out of the oven.