Easy Crab Cakes & Avocado Sauce
I partnered with Certified Steak and Seafood to taste test a variety of their products, including their ready-made crab cakes. Living in New England, we are spoiled with high quality of crab meat we get at restaurants. So, we were excited when we tried the crab cakes from CSS. We could taste the fresh high quality lump crab meat and the fresh-harvested vegetables. Score! Today, I made these Easy Crab Cakes & Avocado Sauce. These babies are the real deal meal we can get without having to get all dressed up and go to a fancy seafood restaurant.
The best part was the little prep I had to do. I literally took them out of the vacuum sealed packaging and popped them in the oven. Half an hour later, ding…sweet smell of sizzling crab meat ready to be devoured. I decided to give these crab cakes a little twist in flavor by making an avocado sauce to go with them.
To make the sauce, you basically just throw everything in a food processor and blend until your heart’s content. The avocado sauce is a wonderful complement to the crab cakes because of the fresh garlic, cilantro and lime taste. It’s basically like guacamole with added plain nonfat yogurt to give it a creamy dreamy consistency that you’ll be licking straight out of the food processor!
- (4) 4 oz. Crab Cakes
- Olive oil, for drizzling over crab cakes
- 1 and half ripe avocados, pitted
- ½ cup plain nonfat yogurt
- ¼ jalapeño, seeded
- Small bunch of cilantro (about ¼ cup packed)
- Juice of ½ fresh lime
- 1 small garlic clove
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375F degrees.
- Remove plastic packaging from the crab cakes, set on a baking sheet greased with olive oil, and drizzle more olive oil on top of the crab cakes.
- When oven is heated, cook the crab cakes in the oven for 28-32 minutes, until they are golden brown and bubbly.
- To make the avocado sauce, which can also be called avocado crema, put all the sauce ingredients in a food processor and blend, until it has a smooth and creamy consistency, and there are no lumps. Scoop the avocado sauce into a small bowl.
- When the crab cakes are done, dip them in the avocado sauce, or serve on top of a salad with the avocado sauce as a dressing.