Vegetarian Chickpea Fritters With Ratatouille
This is another post from my Instagram account that I’m now transferring over to the blog. It’s from the first time that I tried blueapron 3 years ago! I signed up for BlueApron to learn more vegetarian recipes, and this Vegetarian Chickpea Fritters With Ratatouille was a perfect one to start with. The Ratatouille is made in a classic simple way with fresh and healthy vegetables including eggplant, zucchini, bell peppers. The nice twist to the recipe is the addition of the chickpea fritters! I made them by simply mashing canned chickpeas until they were nice and mushy (never thought nice and mushy would be in the same sentence, ehy?) And then I mixed the mushy chickpeas with chickpea flour and chives. Finally, I lightly pan-friend them with olive oil and ate along with the ratatouille – an awesome combo!
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained & rinsed then mashed
- 1 bunch chives, minced
- 1 Italian eggplant, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 15-punce can diced tomatoes
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 4 tsp olive oil
- ¼ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chickpea flour (or regular all-purpose flour)
- In a medium pot, heat 2 tsp of olive oil, add onions, season with s&p and cook, stirring frequently, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, bell pepper and zucchini, season with s&p and cook, stirring occasionally, 5-8 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 1 more minute.
- To the pot of vegetables, add the diced tomatoes, red wine vinegar and ½ cup of water; season with s&p and cook 7-9 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in half of the Parmesan cheese.
- While the ratatouille cooks, in a medium bowl, combine the mashed chickpeas, chickpea flour, chives, 2 tbsp of water, remaining Parmesan cheese and s&p. Divide the mixture into 6 equal parts and form into patties.
- In a large pan, heat 2 tsp of oil, then add the chickpea patties and cook 2-4 minutes per side, or until browned and cooked through.
- Serve fritters on top of ratatouille